Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Monday, October 02, 2006

You can move into the Shire...


...it's in Oregon. Apparently a small group of developers have created a subdivision/ community that is inspired by Tolkien's hobbit villages. It's called The Shire:Place of Enchantment. There are some things I love about this idea and some things that I think are disturbing.

I love the idea of creating a living space that encourages community. The houses all face inward toward a common outdoor living space. There are lots of surprises with gardens, little streams, and other landscaping. There is a little amphitheater for the residents to have small concerts or just sit around with guitars on a summer night. Very cool.

I do not like the idea of creating something like the Shire from Tolkien's work. It's unsatisfying. The "hobbit holes" are basically maintenance sheds. They store lawn mowers and such. If you are going to create a hobbit hole -- I want to be able to go in, sit down at the fire, and read a good book. I like the idea of the old world, cottage architecture. I just wish that it didn't feel contrived. It's okay not have thatched roofs (unless there is some energy efficiency reason for having them.) Use local materials and create an Oregon version of Old English Architecture... They have done this to some extent and I applaud the effort. I just wish the cheesy elements weren't there. No place could ever live up to the Shire in my imagination and it seems to cheapen it to try.

However, I keep returning to the idea of community and living in the midst of such a beautiful garden. I love that. Some of the designs for the floor plans are really cool and I love all the stonework. So I'm torn. What do you think?

3 Comments:

At October 02, 2006 8:34 AM, Blogger dave and kate said...

I fully agree about the Hobbit Holes. I want to sit and have a scone, coffee, and read by the fire too! Why build a "shire" and then put machinery in the whole purpose!! -k8

 
At October 05, 2006 5:08 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

I love the idea of community created by this idea as well. Of course, you could go for the place where The Others live on Lost! Now that's some freaky community!

 
At October 06, 2006 12:10 PM, Blogger kyle and carly said...

I agree with you JP. Take the principles, the heart behind it, and build a community around that. But when you impose something from a specific environment or narrative on something else, it does cheapen it. Kind of like trying to do church the same way in Manhattan, KS as in Manhattan, NY. Same name, way different place!

I do think the houses are pretty cool looking though. Reminds me of Carmel By The Sea, CA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home