Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Is there new protocol and I missed it?

Okay - I need some comments from the peanut gallery. I have read a few things over the past several months that have made me wonder if I've missed a big change in the guy/girl dynamic. I have been taught most of my life that the guy is supposed to make to the first move. For me, this pretty much goes across the board. If a guy wants to get to know me as a purely platonic friend, he's still going to have to initiate that friendship. Not because I am a stuck-up snob who doesn't like the men I know, but because my understanding of the way the world works is that any attempt to chase after a guy is both tacky and unwanted.

Do I have a deep longing for men to be part of my life, see me, and speak truth into my life? Yes. Is that longing ever met? Rarely. . . if at all.

I believe that am a complete person. I don't need male friends to fulfill something that's missing that God left out. God is sufficient... But in a fallen world, I sure need them if I am going to be a well rounded person. Life gets boring when I'm surrounded by women. I deeply miss my male friends from college. It seems to me that men and women have rather large differences in the way they perceive the world. Isn't that awesome? I love that difference and miss hearing that perspective.

I have several acquaintances who are guys, but they are basically, "Hi, how's it going?" kinds of acquaintances. We do not enjoy each other's company on a regular basis or come even close to the interesting conversations and discussions that would be so fun to have. (In fact, I'd love a good argument! Give me someone who can genuinely be on the other side of an issue and still respect me. I love a good friendly discussion between people who genuinely respect each other.) Many of these men are married. That pretty much puts them off limits. I feel very uncomfortable being friends with a married man unless I am better friends with his wife. (Stacey, if you are reading this, thanks for letting me hang with you and Jay from time to time.)

As for the single guys I know, I have NO idea how to move into a deeper friendship. In the past seven years, there have been several times that I've mentioned the desire for a friend to a guy. With a few exceptions, there's been a lot of smiles, nods, "That would be nice," and . . . nothing. (All three of the exceptions have married and moved away or we are no longer close.) It's not a track record that leads to any boldness on my part. I just figure that guys, for the most part, aren't interested in being friends. I certainly don't have any encouragement to step forward and express my desire for a friend yet again, only to be rejected by being ignored or forgotten.

I don't want to turn into a bitter women who hates men. I don't. But why do they bemoan the lack of women in their lives? We are here. They just don't see us. Several months ago, an acquaintance said that he didn't know any educated, Christian, single women who traveled. Let me tell you, that comment was a knife to the gut. He didn't know any. Not because I have a secret longing for this guy. (Although he's nice and has always come across as a great guy.) No, it was because I love God, have an M.A. in Literature, and have lived and traveled overseas. It's not that I felt rejected, it's that I was unseen. I am assuming that this guy is actually looking for much more than "educated, Christian, and likes to travel." There has to something else that he wants because he is actually surrounded by several women that fit that description. I can think of at least ten without even thinking about it for more than a minute or two. Why are the amazing single women that I know overlooked?

Since 1995, I have gone on dates (not had a relationship with...gone on dates) with three men. Three in eleven years. And the one in the middle was not a Christian. I'm not saying this because I want you to be shocked. I've actually dated quite a lot for an older single Christian woman. My best friend has NEVER been in a dating relationship. Not one man has said, "Wow, this beautiful woman could be an amazing person to get to know." Jessica is beautiful, amazingly funny, smart, well-traveled, articulate, one of the best cooks I know -- and truly loves God and walks with him. She would love to be a wife and mother and honestly, I can't think of another girl who would be better as a life companion than Jessica. But for some reason, she is unseen. In the midst of years of heartache and longing for a life that she can't have, she tries to be open and vulnerable and continues to believe in a God who is good and who loves her.

I guess this whole post driven by a bit of complaining that I've been hearing recently. I've been hearing, from more than one source, a lot of, "What's wrong with women?" comments. Well - what should we do? Please. I'm really asking. If you are a single guy in my town, I have almost no way of meeting you. Church on Sunday is pretty much my only context, and I can't just sit around and hope that you'll ask me and my friends to lunch. That leads to a lot of heartache and tears in the car on the way home. If you smile at me or catch my eye across the sanctuary, I'll smile back...but I'm not going to chase you, even when all I'm hoping for is a good friend. I've always been told that it's demeaning and that you don't want me to chase you anyway. I don't really know where the line is when it comes to initiating stuff, so I'm probably going to err on the side of caution. Not because I don't think you are interesting or worthy of time and effort, but because I assume that if you aren't asking me to lunch...it because you do not want to eat lunch with me.

So, what is appropriate?

12 Comments:

At August 27, 2006 8:59 AM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Yes, a question I would love to know the answer to as well. Very well communicated. You made me tear up. Love you bunches, gal.

P.S.-- You don't think we're still single because of the all the scales beneath our clothes, do you? :-)

 
At August 27, 2006 3:59 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Oh! the scales... maybe that's it. :-) I always forget to factor them in...

 
At August 27, 2006 4:39 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Wow. Jill, I think you're right -- the guys need to initiate, whether they are picking up the right "vibes" or not. Also, I think you and some of the other singles in Manhappenin' need to create a forum for Christian singles. Maybe something similar to the "Metro" ministries I've seen in Dallas, Tampa and Atlanta. Granted, this is a small town, but it could work here. I'm thinking that this logistical problem is a major factor in the frustration many singles feel there.

 
At August 27, 2006 7:49 PM, Blogger alethea said...

Thanks for speaking for me, too, Jill! This woman longs to cross paths with men who have brave hearts---risking all that they have for mysterious treasures. Waiting to be seen is as agonizing as waiting for the courage to see anew must be!

 
At August 27, 2006 8:07 PM, Blogger annaelyse said...

I hear ya...just for the record though i think you're pretty stinkin awesome! :)

 
At August 28, 2006 8:37 AM, Blogger dave and kate said...

Great questions...truly. I will say this, If I would have kept with the 100% belief of men have to make first approaches on all accounts-I wouldn't be married to your brother! He did make SOME approaches, but he would have smiled at me and then kept walking if I didn't do something in between. So, what I'm saying is I think some of the really great men out there are also just as nervous about being rejected as women. And sometimes their smiling at you is their attempt of making the first move. There's a married person's view. :)

 
At August 28, 2006 10:19 AM, Blogger dave and kate said...

Here's my two cents. My opinion is that you've got to show obvious interest. No guys wants to be turned down, in fact it's one of the most miserable and embarrassing things possible. When I was "in the game", I would have rather gone to the dentist and get my teeth drilled than have a girl A. know that I was interested and B. not reciprocate that interest. That drives fear into men. Ladies, I'm not saying that you have to bat your eye lashes and giggle at stupid jokes, but you need to express interest. Before Katie and I got together, the biggest sign that I got was a slight touch on the arm when talking. Don't know if you are that bold or want to go that way, but hey, it worked on me!

Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results....so try something new!

Solution B: Alcohol.

Love you! Dave

 
At August 28, 2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

I think I prefer Solution B.

 
At August 29, 2006 1:35 PM, Blogger Mom25 said...

O.K. here's a comment from the REALLY OLD peanut gallery. Of course you know what a conservative home I was raised in, but I'm pretty sure that both of your paternal grandparents were big flirts!!! hahaha Imagine that! I'm pretty sure your Meme did her share of winking and eye-rolling! I think there are certain things that guys definitely need to do first. Like driving HIS car on the first date (outing? lunch?) and probably even BUYING on the first date, but in subtle ways I think you can convey that you would like to know this person more and more. My friend, Kristine, 42-year old unmarried Engineer (engineers are already weird anyway ha!) has always felt like you do until lately. There's a guy that she is truly interested in and he's extremely shy - she's outgoing and can talk to anybody so she's just going for it - sending him crazy and funny notes, etc. (he lives out-of-town.) She can do this and still remain a Godly woman and I truly believe that's O.K. She may get shot down but she's ready for that too. I have to agree with David - guys have really fragile egos (think about the one's I live with!) On the other hand, I look at you and think "Are men stupid!!!" Anyway, I'm still praying for that special guy for you and I'll add all your single buddies to my list. I LOVE YOU!

 
At August 30, 2006 11:06 PM, Blogger Jen Reed said...

Just came across your blog by clicking through others. I definitely identify with what you're saying! It's hard to be content... But I just finished reading a good book I'd like to recommend - Revelations of a Single Woman by Connally Gilliam. I don't know if it will help you, because all I know is what you wrote here, but it helped me. And it helps me to know there are other people my age out there feeling the same things I am!

 
At September 06, 2006 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Jill,

my perspective... It really takes a lot for me to get to the point where I actually do something. For example, in the past several years, I have asked about 3 or 4 girls on a date. Only 1 said she would, and as it turns out she was just in a hurry to get married (I am not opposed, just a little more cautious about life altering decisions). Most of what it takes for me to ask someone on a date is what is in the woman. I could be attracted to a lot of people for a lot of different reasons, but really I am looking for something deeper and different than "Living the American Dream", but whether there is someone or not, I am going to be content. I am 30 now, and maybe this comes from having a Y chromosone, but it gets harder and harder to ask when most times the answer is no. I think Will Smith made a great point in that movie Hitch when he said it is so hard to fall in love. People tend to complicate something that i think God intended to be simple. I probably do that too.

If you ever come back to town, be sure to stop by for some chocolate. I am going to China for most of October, so if you happen through town then, I won't be here, but perhaps we shall meet again someday.

Take care,

michael

 
At September 27, 2006 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment will sound real stupid if your not Jill(Dee)Pole from Allison. You left off Days of Thunder. If you are from Allison contact me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home