Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Monday, August 07, 2006

Back to media...

It's been a while since I've posted anything on TV or film, so I thought I'd give an update on a few things on the horizon.

First of all, my new favorite show that's currently on the air...Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt.
This show is literally a fun ride. Alton is taking four weeks to ride a motorcycle across the continental United States and eat good road food along the way. He is avoiding interstates and trying to find local and regional cuisine...and it's Alton - so it's a lot of fun! Check it out on the Food Network.

So, here are the movies...

The Fountain - It's fantasy and Hugh Jackman. What else do you need to know?

Wordplay - crossword puzzles. This is a clip, not a trailer. But it looks good. Here's another.

Scoop - It's a mystery. And has Hugh Jackman. Again, what else do you need to know? I'm not usually a Woody Allen fan, but this looks really enjoyable.

Charlotte's Web - I hope this is wonderful. Charlotte's Web is one of my "childhood books." I've read it more times than I can count. We'll see how the movie stacks up...

Invincible - I'm not a fan of sports movies. They usually seem exactly the same as every other sports movie to me. (An exception is Chariot's of Fire.) Anyway - this one still looks the same - an underdog comes from behind to win the big game...yawn. But there is something about this one that intrigues me. I think I like the Cinderella aspect to the story.

Step Up - Okay, I confess, I love dance movies. Yep, they also have a formula...I don't care. I like 'em anyway! :-) :-)

The Last Kiss - Did we chose the life we are living? Is there another choice that is better...or more exciting? Are we stuck? These are questions that this film seems to be asking.

The Illusionist - Mystery, magic and intrigue... This one looks good. And it has Paul Giamatti and Edward Norton.

Flyboys - Bi-planes and WWI. I've flown in a plane like that. (Of course, when we were spinning there were no bullets or explosions.) Still - it's probably the single most exciting thing I've ever done. I wonder if the movie catches that? Flying straight up and stalling the engine, then falling back toward Earth, hoping the pilot can start the engine back up before you crash. Nothing like it.

Running with Scissors - This is quirky. I like quirky. But I also get the feeling that it's sad. I haven't read the book yet, so I can't recommend it on that score.

Rocky Balboa - This looks good, if you are a Rocky fan. My friend Robbie is pretty excited. (I'm guessing that Carol is too!) :-) I'm intrigued for the history aspect. Can they do it again? (and not have another Rocky V?)

A Good Year - To what do we give our life?

Night at the Museum - For some reason, this looks really funny to me.

Transformers - I confess...not real excited about this one. David, did you watch Transformers? Now, if they would make a Jem and the Holograms movie - I'd get on board for that one!

The Departed - Well, it's Jack and Leo and Martin and Matt and Mark. Should be good, if the script is decent.

4 Comments:

At August 07, 2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Chris said...

That Transformers trailer was infuriating! More! I want more!

 
At August 07, 2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Not a Woody Allen fan? Are you insane?

 
At August 07, 2006 11:33 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

I know, I know...but I either love him or I get really annoyed by him. I think that I've seen more of the annoying Allen than the brilliant Allen. For instance, "Annie Hall" is one of those films that I'm embarassed to admit that I've never seen. I am willing to admit that maybe I'm not a fan because I haven't seen the good stuff. But, the fact remains that his name alone does not draw me to a film.

 
At August 10, 2006 12:45 PM, Blogger dave and kate said...

I did watch transformers growing up. No one can deny the fact that Optimus Prime was a B.A. I can vividly remember my 6th birthday when I opend up my own OP toy. The package had shiny orange ribbon.

Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home