Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Amazing Chocolate



Let me tell you a little story. Tucked into a small Texas town, in a beautiful old Victorian house, is the most amazing chocolate I have ever tasted. This is Wiseman House Chocolates. Wiseman House Chocolates is a creation of Kevin Wenzel, a friend of my sister's. When she and I recently visited her in-laws, we took a little trip to Wiseman House.

Kevin is a genius with chocolate. I don't throw that term around lightly. He uses the most unique ingredients and creates chocolate truffles that are simply a taste of heaven. When we went to visit, Kevin took us back to the kitchen and let us taste a new flavor he was creating. Readers, this is art. Kevin is an artist as much as, if not more than, a painter or sculptor. In addition to being very conscious of the aesthetics of his chocolate, Kevin is also deeply concerned about the taste, texture, flavor and aroma of his creations. He attempted to explain some of the science that goes into truffle making. (I confess, I got a little lost around the second or third application of heat and specific temperature. Suffice it to say, this is a difficult procedure, folks.)

After all of that, when you put a truffle into your mouth, the visuals don't matter and it's just the chocolate that is melting own your tongue. Wow. I put a link to their website above and I highly recommend you order a few. I think that this is going to be my gift of choice for a few people and I'm looking forward to ordering some myself, especially when the weather cools down a bit. They ship anywhere and include a cold pack in the summer months to avoid premature melting. :-) Right now, my favorite is the "Love Potion." This is a truffle with slight hints of cinnamon and chipotle pepper. It's incredible. Then there is the "Wild Woman." This one won "Best Truffle" at the Austin Chocolate Festival. Of course, we can't forget "Snooky" or "Southern Hospitality" (with a hint of Jack Daniels) or any of the other unique flavors.

(P.S. - The picture above is from their website. The truffle on the left is "Wild Woman" and I'm not sure about the others. Please don't use this picture for anything other than talking about Wiseman House Chocolates. (And Kevin, if you happen to see this and don't want me using the picture, just let me know!)

3 Comments:

At July 05, 2006 10:01 AM, Blogger dave and kate said...

Wow, my mouth is watering just reading this! What a GREAT idea for gifts! Thanks for the info, I am already thinking of who I could send these too as well!

 
At July 05, 2006 3:16 PM, Blogger Mom25 said...

I love you and I am glad to read the second half of your post! I will ALWAYS be one of your best cheerleaders! (The first half, about the chocolate, just made me yearn for truffles, which I DO NOT need!!! haha)

 
At July 13, 2006 10:26 AM, Blogger Heather said...

So I stopped by to see my dear friend Jill the other day and she graciously offered to split one of these AMAZING chocolates with me...I must confess I was a little hesitant for three reasons, 1 they're really special and they don't grow on trees, 2, they cost a few pretty pennies, and 3 we were going to eat "Love Potion" which has cinnamon and chipotle in it...
Guess what! I'm a HUGE Fan!
Love it!!!
You've gotta try it!!
Thanks friend for your generosity and adventurous spirit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home