Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Home

I've been thinking about the idea of "home" a lot lately. I have a deep desire to create and live in a home, not just a house. What makes the place you live a home? Something to come home to... I love the idea that I return home. Not just to my house.

There is something in me that wants to create a home for others. Not just myself. I lose motivation when it's just me. There is almost a, "What's the point?" attitude. And yet, at the same time, I love to live in a beautiful and welcoming space. A space that offers rest to both to myself and to others. I'm excited that my new roommates will soon move in. I think I'll have more motivation to keep up on the tidying up. :-) But more than that -- what are the intangibles of a home? It's more than just a neat living room and having the dishes done. In fact, I would argue that those things are the least of creating a home. For me, the thing I look forward to most in coming home is that it is restful and safe. I can relax and literally let down my hair. (The first things I do when I get in the front door are kick off my shoes and take the clip out of my hair.)

I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds a few weeks ago and Mandy Patinkin quoted a Mexican proverb, "The house does not rest upon the ground, but upon a woman." He was talking about the significant role that women play in the family in Mexican culture, but I haven't been able to get that phrase out of my head. Is creating a home primarily a feminine drive? I don't know. I've had several single male friends who've bought houses, settled in, decorated them, etc. They have tried to create a homey space for themselves. But do they have the drive to do so that women have? Guys? Thoughts?

I was thinking the other day about creating a home in terms of being single. I am expected to be both the homemaker and the breadwinner. It's a little tiring. I must say, I think that guys get a little break in this area. If they live on their own or with other guys, there really isn't an expectation that they will have a home-like space. White walls, ratty couches, a poster, and a TV are perfectly fine. If you walked into a single woman's home and saw the same...it would be strange. We are expected to have a put-together home and keep it up. Sometimes I joke at work that it would be nice to have a wife. While, of course, I'm joking -- there is something there. I am the breadwinner and no one takes care of my space. When we have a pot luck at work, my co-workers ask if I am going to make the homemade dip they love or if I am going to cook some other dish. The single guy who eats with us is expected to bring chips or pop. That's just a small example, but there's a pattern. I'm tired tonight and that is certainly affecting the direction of this post. I don't mean to be whiney; I guess I just wanted to vent a little.

Back to the idea of creating home. One of things that really drove my desire to buy a house was that I was really tired of moving. I wanted to put down roots and have the freedom to create the space I wanted. I certainly did that here! (Everything in my house is different...) This spring I've been working on the outside of my house, but it is all connected. I am so excited about my roses because they are beautiful and welcoming. I hope that they help create an atmosphere that is comfortable at my house. I hope to work on the back yard this summer also. I want to extend my living space out into the back yard. Maybe have a patio, climbing roses, lots of flowers and a table and chairs. I want to plant a butterfly garden and attract beautiful birds and insects. (But hopefully not too many mosquitoes!)

This post is getting long and I really didn't say what I wanted to say. I'm not quite sure where I was going with this, but maybe I'll have thoughts that are more clear later. I think there is something in my heart that responds to the story of Mary and Martha. I am so tempted to be Martha. But I want to create a home where people (myself included) are encouraged and given a space to be Mary. To rest and sit at the feet of Jesus. Hopefully we can put a pot of coffee on and sit there together.

3 Comments:

At May 25, 2006 10:30 PM, Blogger alethea said...

This Mary needs to sit and rest. Thanks for the space to do that! I consider it an honor to enjoy the home you have made for a short time.

 
At May 26, 2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Mom25 said...

You expressed all those feelings really well and it's not being whiney to think that women always have to do the domestic thing. You just need to find someone like Uncle Bill that will do the cooking!! haha The people at my office NEVER ask me to cook anything - I do try but it's usually a failure. I think the feeling of being "at home" was best depicted at your Meme's house. I always liked her home better than mine. So quiet, no noise and clutter! What a place. You're still young, you'll find what you need! Love you!

 
At May 30, 2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Chris said...

That was an interesting post. I think you have some great points -- inconsistencies of our culture. I admire you for what you've done with your home, and I'm sorry you're having to "do it all," right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home