Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

I saw the film this afternoon. While I still think I was right in my previous post, there is something else going on here for me. I'm not sure quite what it is, yet. I do think that Christians should read the book and have an informed and compassionate answer for the questions that are raised -- but while watching the movie I had a different emotional response. There were several places in the film where my spirit just rebelled. I wanted to cry out, "Blasphemous!" I know, that seems drastic for me, but heart just cringed at some of what was said.

Jesus is God. This is not trivial. It is the most important fact in the history of the world. Nothing is more important. For if Jesus is not God -- then what is the point? Why are we here? I cannot answer that question outside of Jesus.

Back to my original point, I'm not sure why the movie effected me the way it did. When I read the book, I simply got very irritated at the historical inaccuracies and dismissed it as a novel. As a piece of fiction, I didn't really struggle with the idea that it was blasphemous. It was fiction and therefore untrue. The movie was different. There was something that made my soul deeply uncomfortable. I'm not sure why. If anything, the movie was less inflammatory than the book. As I am thinking over my reaction, I am wondering if there was something in the fact that it was spoken out loud. Perhaps, to hear someone say that Jesus was not divine -- that was the disturbing element. I don't know. I'll be puzzling this out for awhile.

On another note, I went to see the film with one or two of the most adamant atheists that I know. We went out for dinner afterward and had what I hope was a significant conversation. They were, of course, interested in my opinion. I was honest about how uncomfortable I was and how that surprised me. This lead into a talk about the divinity of Christ and what that means for the world (and to me.) What would it mean if he wasn't the Son of God? What does it mean that he is? I'm glad I went to see it, and I'm glad I had some opportunities afterward to share a little truth.

Jesus is God, and he is holy and alive today. Glory to God!

1 Comments:

At May 20, 2006 10:54 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

interesting thoughts...I'm intrigued to hear more as you process!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home