Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Friday, May 19, 2006

June 2006 Movies

Superman Returns - I'm not sure I can express how much I am looking forward to this one! It's by far my most anticipated movie of the summer. Maybe all year. (Remember, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was last year.) It's Superman -- what else needs to be said? Oh yeah, Bryan Singer is directing. I might forgive him for leaving the X-Men franchise if he knocks this out of the park. Maybe. :-) Kevin Spacey is playing Lex. While I truly do love Michael Rosenbaum's Lex on Smallville, I'm looking forward to Spacey's interpretation. He's one of my favorite actors these days. I'm a little hesitant about the unknown playing Clark, but I'm always like that with unknowns. I love the idea of unknowns playing iconic characters...it's just a little risky. I am hoping that Brandon Routh can carry the film. I'm glad that I don't bring other roles I've seen him in to the film. He can just be Superman. That's the joy of the unknown actor. (On a side note, I hope that Joss casts an unknown for Wonder Woman...or Morena Baccarin.)

A Prairie Home Companion - It's PHC, what else do you need? Garrison Keillor is a storytelling genius. It has Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly (and Lindsay Lohan, but I'm ignoring that.)

The Break-Up - I keep waiting for a really good Jennifer Aniston movie. I think I'm still waiting. If someone tells me that they get together in the end, I might go see it. If it's just two people being mean to each other for two hours -- I'm not interested.

Peaceful Warrior - This one looks very interesting to me. It sounds like a cheesy premise, but I have hopes that it will deliver a solid story. I've heard that it was in development for decades. That might mean that there is something there that a few people refused to give up on.

The Devil Wears Prada - I did not like the book, but sometimes I hate movies made from books I like -- so maybe I'll like this one. I'll wait for a solid rec.

Click - Fascinating premise. I'm not an Adam Sandler fan, but I enjoy Christopher Walken -- and I love quirky movies.

Coming up next... July

2 Comments:

At May 20, 2006 2:30 PM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

Superman Returns should be a huge movie this summer. I may not be the biggest Supes fan in the world (I’m more of a Batman fan – dark and noir appeals to me more :), but the official trailer that came out actually got my interest up for Superman (that airplane sequence looks awesome :). I’m a Kevin Spacey fan, and I think he’s going to steal the show as Lex. (btw, something I always found funny about Superman stories is that for a planet that was blown to bits, it sure is easy to find kryptonite from it. It’s like it grows on trees or something :) As for casting an unknown to play Supes, I think I’ll trust Singer on this one – he did the same thing for Wolverine with Hugh Jackman, and look how well that turned out…

On a side note, Singer has stated how much a fan he is of the Donner Superman 1 and 2 movies, and how this will fit into that timeline. Considering that, it’s really interesting to watch the original trailer for the first Superman movie and how close the teaser trailer for Superman Returns is to it in tone. The whole “sent his only son” bit is in both. Maybe I’m just not up on my Superman lore, but the religious overtones of that in both trailers kind of surprised me and it’s intriguing to consider as well. As upset as people are over the Da Vinci Code, I’m surprised no one’s picked up on this…

Interesting that you’d mention the ending for The Break Up. This movie doesn’t interest me in the least :), but being you mentioned the ending, you may want to read this article from The Movie Blog. They changed the ending based on the response from a test screening audience. I won’t say which way they changed it, but feel free to click on the link if you don’t mind a spoiler :)

 
At May 30, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger dave and kate said...

Yo JP-
If you want to see a good Jennifer Aniston movie, I have 2: "The good girl" and "Derailed". Both were very good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home