Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Update

I'm sorry I've kept everyone waiting for news about Mike. He did show up for class on Monday. We haven't had much chance to talk, but he's still struggling. At this point, I think that he knows what he's doing is wrong, he just doesn't want to give it up. (His words.) He says that this is the last time that he'll have a relationship with a guy, but I'm afraid that it's not going to be so easy. He is longing for acceptance and understanding and unconditional love (aren't we all?), and he thinks that he's found it in this relationship. He's uncomfortable with the physical aspects, but is willing to go through that to keep the relationship.

I'm just reminded that this is a fairly common story. How many of us are willing to put up with something in a relationship that is uncomfortable or wrong because we don't want to destroy what we have? We are often okay with settling for something much less than we really want, because we are afraid of losing what we have. It's the mudpies instead of the vacation at the beach that C.S. Lewis talks about.

You know, that fear is real. It's not that the risk isn't a real one. It is. It's just that the risk is worth taking. I'm speaking in a much broader sense than just Mike. How often do I settle for something that's "okay" when God might have something wonderful waiting in the wings if I step out in faith? Sure, it might not be there, but isn't it worth finding out? Sometimes I have the courage, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I find something amazing, and sometimes I'm crushed. But I hope that I never give up on letting go of the mediocre in hopes of something better, more eternal and closer to the real design of my heart.

3 Comments:

At April 20, 2006 9:18 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Way to be there for him, Jill. I will pray for you.

 
At April 22, 2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Me,too. :-)

What about a train trip up the West coast from LA to Vancouver???

 
At April 22, 2006 6:35 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

GREAT IDEA!!! (And sounds like something two budding authors should do...) Maybe stop at a few bed and breakfasts? San Fransisco?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home