Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Monday, March 27, 2006

The Song on my Radio

I've been playing Anna Nalick's "Wreck of the Day" CD in my car stereo. The chorus keeps drawing me back. So here you are -- a piece of my heart tonight:

...you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button, girl.
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe... just breathe...


I think this is returning to the lesson I am learning about being and not doing. I am praying a lot lately about the woman I hope to be, instead of the stuff I don't want to do. I want to be a woman who chooses to love and give to others, not someone who acts those things out from a sense of duty. I want love and service to pour from the overflow of my heart.

Right now, I need to stop and breathe. I can't rewind and I can't change my circumstances. I don't want to rush through this time and ignore the lessons and changes that God has for me. I want to stop and listen. Stop and remember. Stop and just be here. ---- And then I want to move where He wants me to go.

5 Comments:

At March 28, 2006 11:22 AM, Blogger Mom25 said...

What good words little girl. And even your old aunt can relate to them! I'm just glad that you can realize these things now rather than later. Seems like I have spent a large part of my life running around like the familiar "chicken with my head cut off" and wasting so much doing it. Dr. Stanley's sermon this week was about knowing God's will and one of the BIG words that he used was WAIT. I'm not very good at that. I let things get so out of focus for me because I don't just wait. Stopping and listening is good. Love you.

 
At March 29, 2006 11:38 AM, Blogger stace said...

That's beauty, Friend! Wow.

 
At March 30, 2006 7:51 AM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

"Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy BIRTHday dear Jill, Happy Birthday to you!"

Love ya!!!

 
At March 30, 2006 9:35 AM, Blogger Mom25 said...

Ditto on Blythe's song except I would have to say "DEAR POOPDECK!"

I love you SOOOO much! Aunt S.

 
At March 30, 2006 8:55 PM, Blogger dave and kate said...

Yo Sista, it sounds like you're finding songs that express how you feel. If you haven't listened to it yet, you need to check out Don Chaffer's first solo album, "You were there at the time for love". It is by far my favortie album. It has a lot of heartache and emotion in it as well as hope. The music is amazing too. I have gone to that album many a time when I'm down in the dumps and it always seems to get to me right were I'm at (if that makes sense). Love, Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home