Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Simple Life

My life has been pretty complicated on multiple levels for quite awhile now and I am realizing how much I long for simplicity. I was listening to a CD in my car yesterday and this song came up:

Chris Rice - Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus)

Weak and wounded sinner, lost and left to die
Raise your head, for love is passing by.
Come to Jesus. Come to Jesus.
Come to Jesus and live!

Now your burden’s lifted and carried far away
And precious blood has washed away the stain.
So, sing to Jesus. Sing to Jesus.
Sing to Jesus and live!

Like a newborn baby, don't be afraid to crawl.
And remember when we walk, sometimes we fall.
So, fall on Jesus. Fall on Jesus.
Fall on Jesus and live!

Sometimes the way is lonely and steep and filled with pain.
So, if your sky is dark and pours the rain,
Cry to Jesus. Cry to Jesus.
Cry to Jesus and live!

Oh, and when the love spills over and music fills the night
And when you can‚’t contain your joy inside --
Then dance for Jesus. Dance for Jesus.
Dance for Jesus and live!

And with your final heartbeat, kiss the world goodbye.
Go in peace and laugh on glory‚’s side,
And fly to Jesus. Fly to Jesus.
Fly to Jesus and live!

The words and tune are so simple, but they touch a deep place in my heart today.

I watched the sunset last night. I never do that, because I am usually busy at 6:20ish. But last night, I drove up to Bluemont Hill and watched it fall into the earth. It was beautiful. And simple.

I can't really take complicated theology or complex arguments right now. But Jesus loves me. That I can process. And at the same time -- do we ever really understand that Jesus loves us? He does. But I think it's like something unfolding, ever before us. I think that, even in Heaven, I'll be learning what it means that Jesus loves me.


2 Comments:

At March 14, 2006 4:32 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

My friend...this is exactly what I've been praying for you. While my love for you is not nearly so perfect as Jesus' love for you, you are loved by me...deeply. I'm praying for you. Just think -- 4 more days!!!!

 
At March 14, 2006 4:51 PM, Blogger alethea said...

I too am encouraged that you have had "sunset moments" that have helped simplify your life for now. I can completely relate to the simple messages hitting the deepest chords right now. I stand with you in swirl of complexity and join your desire for simplicity. Thanks for sharing your heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home