Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Saturday morning, part 2

You know, sometimes I wonder what the point of dealing with the crap in my life is for. I mean, I know the eternal point. I long to be more Christ-like. But honestly, it seems that ever since I have been trying to honestly deal with my heart and my past and the patterns of relating that govern my life -- it keeps getting harder and harder. Circumstantially. Life just keeps throwing me really nasty curve balls. The kind of pitch that you think you are going to knock out of the park and then it breaks your collarbone going ninety miles an hour. (I'm not exactly sure if that sports analogy works -- but it's all I've got right now.)

I don't want to give up. Not really. But sometimes I wonder how I can keep functioning out in the world as a normal, healthy person. Or even what the point is. I just want to buy a cabin out in the woods and wait for Jesus to come back. Or maybe just lose myself in stories of other people's lives forever. -- You know, I was thinking last night that there is something so seductive with the idea of virtual reality. The thought that someday I could slip on a device and be part of a false world is truly terrifying in its appeal. I would never have to interact with real people, just pale facsimiles of real people. What if the virtual reality had conflict and growth, but somehow always ended up with a fairy tale ending? Oh, that would be such a temptation. When I say it's terrifying, I mean that I'm not sure I would resist. It would be nice to disappear for awhile. I bet Philip K. Dick wrote a short story about something like that. I'll have to check and see. It would have to be a horror story to some extent, or at least very creepy.

Life never works out the way you hope it will, you know? Sometimes, some of your worst fears just stare at you in the face. The thing that last year you thought would be one of the hardest to face, just walks in your front door. You know, it's hard when the thing that just rips you into shreds is the very thing that makes people you love happy. You really don't want it change, because they'll be hurt. Sometimes life sucks. Jesus never promised that we would have a life free of suffering. In fact, he said the opposite. But I hope that someday this year will turn around. My birthday is coming up. Maybe 32 will be better than 31.

As I look back over this post, it feels really whiny and full of self-pity. But that's where I'm am this morning. Tomorrow, I'll probably won't be so focused on myself, but today I am. I certainly don't want to live in this place, but I don't want to run from it either.

2 Comments:

At March 12, 2006 1:51 AM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

I hear ya. I really don't have anything particularly helpful to write, but just wanted to say hang in there. Life has a way of waiting until you've hit the wall before sometimes turning around, but it can happen. Happened to me...

I've wanted to disappear many a time myself, but by the grace of God, I'm still here. As the song lyric goes, "I could've missed the pain, but then I'd have had to miss the dance..."

Btw, the sports analogy works. No one wants to be in front of those kinds of pitches...just ask John Kruk. (Just trying to offer a little humor :)

Cheers on the upcoming B-day. May it be a happy one and a start to a good year...

 
At March 13, 2006 10:32 AM, Blogger Mom25 said...

Hey you! You know me...I totally agree with the cabin in the woods deal. Just me, some wild flowers, the birds, the trees, maybe a dog, etc.) I've thought that MANY times but then I have to stop and think how selfish that would probably be because I guess I do have things to contribute to others (at least in a small way.) But you wouldn't be President of the Do-Nothing-Club if you didn't have those kind of feelings occasionally! You are definitely your Grandmother's granddaughter and my niece!!! That may not always be a good thing but it's not such a bad thing either. Right now I'm kinda going through a period of "I'm just tired of everything!" I've mentioned to lots of people that I would be perfectly happy in a padded room with a stack of books. My need for a lot of communication with real people is pretty small. Ideally I suppose I should have never married and had children because there are many days when they are the source of my frustrations! That's when the relying on God part definitely comes into LARGE view. There are days when I feel like every five minutes I'm saying "Lord, help me deal with this!" Of course, on the flip side of that is the days that they make me so proud I just want to pop at the seams. When I was pretty little I told Meme that I wanted to be a Baptist Nun!! haha!

So anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say here is that you're not by yourself in your feelings. Most likely they will come and go like that all your life. Don't get too caught up in trying to figure out all the crappy things about life or yourself. Especially to the point when you aren't happy with the little things. Stop and smell the flowers A LOT!!! I LOVE YOU!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home