Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

My picks for the Big Dance


As most of you know, I am not a sports girl. But, every day, I eat lunch with several people who love sports the way I love stories. To them, a basketball game is like a chapter in a novel. The NCAA Tournament is the best selling novel of the year. So, when they put together a pool for the games and cajoled me to fill out my own bracket -- I said, "Why not?" I know absolutely nothing about basketball. In fact, I can't name one player on any team. But, I gave this my best shot. It's a combination of a tiny bit a research, a few questions to a friend, and some crazy guessing....

I have Duke, Arkansas, Connecticut, and Ohio State in the Final Four, with Duke and Connecticut meeting for the big game. I'm thinking that Connecticut will come out on top. To paraphrase, "Ya' makes ya' picks and ya' takes ya' chances." Any thoughts? Did I do okay?

8 Comments:

At March 16, 2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Mom25 said...

OK, for this we have to go to a different expert! That would be Drew (or possibly Uncle Bill.) I'll pass your picks along and see what they say. While I love watching basketball (especially at the High School level at this point) I really don't know much about the college teams. I just pick the one that I like their name or mascot the best!!! That's brilliant don't you think???

Big e-mail from your Mom this morning. I was so glad to get it! I told her we were anxiously awaiting pictures. Hope they hurry with those. I get antsy for pictures!!!

 
At March 16, 2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Heather said...

As you know, football is more my thing, but I do enjoy a good basketball game on occassion and I do enjoy filling out a bracket.
I love Duke and almost always pick them to win. This year I spent an hour and a half doing some reserch on the teams to fill out my bracket. I think that is sad, but I just didn't want to go into the whole thing completely blind. Some may say I am blind none the less because I have Duke, Gonzaga, UCON, and Flordia in the final 4 with Duke and Flordia "duking it out" in the end. I picked Duke to win 82-78 (score prediction in case there is a tie in my pool)
We'll see. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it, but it sure would be nice to have the best picks.
UCon to beat Duke...you may be right. :)

 
At March 16, 2006 1:48 PM, Blogger The Bearded said...

For someone who professes not to know a thing about sports...you have some good picks! I don't see Razorbacks going anywhere, but the other three are tough to argue against.

Note to Correnta...Duke stinks.

 
At March 16, 2006 4:20 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

This is kinda fun. I think I'll actually be paying attention to the games for the first time this year. Maybe this whole bracket thing is a racket to get all us none sports people to like basketball!! :-) :-)

 
At March 17, 2006 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Davidson, Bradley, Bucknell, and all the other colleges that don't really exist. Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a real powerhouse.

 
At March 17, 2006 12:07 PM, Blogger Heather said...

To the bearded...
Let's keep it "friendly" and not trash other's picks. :)
We'll see about Duke.
Another note, K-State stinks but love 'em with all my heart and some day, maybe we can make it to at least the sweet 16, what a sweet day that would be!

 
At March 17, 2006 9:01 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Totally laughing here...YOU filled out a basketball bracket??? Maybe this is baby steps toward football season??? (Pleeaassee???) Maybe this is kinda like the baby steps it took to get you drinking coffee back in college. I am deeply encouraged what this might do for our sports future together...

 
At March 18, 2006 6:22 AM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Baby steps, girl, baby steps! Who knows what the future will bring... Maybe we'll be those little old ladies at the football games dressed head to toe in team gear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home