Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Some random media news

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Life got a little nuts there for awhile. Today was the last day for senior students, so I can breathe a little. There's been a lot of stuff going on that I'll probably post about in the next several days, but for now -- the frivolous media stuff!!!

Probably the biggest news for geeky sci-fi fans is that George Lucas is releasing the original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in the original version! Whoo Hoo!!! (Han shoots first, no conversation with Jaba, etc.) It'll be out for a limited time from September to December of this year. Check out the details at StarWars.com.

Here is an absolutely hilarious video that a journalist got of Joss Whedon. You don't know it from this -- but Joss does the entire bit off the cuff. He had no idea what was going on and just played along. The man is brilliant. I always say -- I would watch a show about grocery shopping and doing laundry if it was written by Joss Whedon or Aaron Sorkin.

Speaking of Aaron Sorkin -- here's the trailer for his new show, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It's really the only new show for fall that I'm excited about at this point. It's starring Bradley Whitford, Amanda Peet, Steven Weber, Timothy Busfield, and-oh yeah- some guy named Matthew Perry. It's a drama set backstage at a SNL type show.

That's all for now. More to come...

2 Comments:

At May 18, 2006 6:48 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

It's good to hear from you here in Blogland.

Okay, first off, wondering about the "geeky sci-fi fan" comment...I wouldn't say that I'm one but as a film buff I believe there is no way else to watch Stars Wars than in its original form. I was miffed that he messed with it at all. Cool news.

Joss is funny. Sure wish he was developing some new TV shows. I about cried when I saw the fall lineup. Disappointing indeed.

Studio 60 -- fun! I'm excited, too, especially after being about halfway through the 1st season of WW. I'm truly enjoying it!

 
At May 18, 2006 8:06 PM, Blogger The Bearded said...

Ditto on the comment regarding Star Wars in the original format. Can't wait. This may be the best decision Lucas has made in 23 yrs...(Episode III being somewhat of an exception).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home