Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Friday, May 19, 2006

May 2006 Movies

Here is what Jill is interested in for the Summer Blockbuster season. I'll split the entries up by month. First up - MAY.

The DaVinci Code -– I know, I know. Everyone is all up in arms about this one. On one hand -- it's fiction people! For pete's sake, how can anyone assume that the truth about the divinity of Christ is going to be found in a novel by Dan Brown is beyond me. That said, there is something happening with this book. Why is it so engaging? Sure, it'’s a fun yarn. But so are many, many other stories and they haven'’t been cemented into the NY Times best sellers list. What questions is the book attempting to answer? I think the answer to that question might be a little more complicated than, "Who is Jesus?"” Why are people so drawn today to exploring the indentity of the real, human Jesus? Did this book touch on something that was already brewing in our culture? If so, what?

I'm a little appalled by Christian columnists who say that Christians should avoid talking about this book with non-believers because they are just looking for an excuse not to believe in Christ. What?? Why would they need an excuse? The world applauds people who reject Christianity. They don'’t need a novel to justify their unbelief. However, they might need a novel to start asking questions about the actual Jesus who lived, died, and then came back to life. I think that Jesus has become a very distant thought to most of America. He is a very vague and ghostly figure who "sort of lived sometime and did some miracles…maybe," but he certainly doesn'’t have an impact on their lives in any concrete way. The idea of Jesus as a man who lived, suffered many pains that we all suffer, had friends and family, etc. etc. – Jesus is fully man and fully divine. Do we know what this really means? No. We can't. We aren't divine. But we could talk about it. I think this Jesus might be a fairly new idea to a lot of marginal or cultural "Christians."” If nothing else, the Da Vinci Code has started an intriguing dialogue. I hope that I can enter into that dialogue with love and an eye on Jesus and not on proving myself right or winning.

This is a pretty strong statement, but I also think that most Christians who interact with unbelievers on a regular basis and refuse to read this book are somewhat foolish. If your own faith would be damaged by reading it, then by all means, stay away. But if you can handle the challenge to your belief system (and honestly, the argument set out by the novel is weaker than a house of cards) then read it. And talk about it those around you who are asking questions. There is truth and if they aren't hearing it from you -- then why shouldn't they believe the book? And why should they listen to you if you haven't read it? After all -- you haven't read it! There are several good resources out there with the historical truth. Josh McDowell might be a good place to start, if you need some facts about early church history and The DaVinci Code.

Mission Impossible III -– already saw it. It was good. Entertaining. Definitely better than the second one. I think what I liked about it was that the danger was personal. The world wasn'’t really in danger (just in a tangential way) the danger was to someone Ethan Hawke loves. It's personal and painful and makes for a much better story.

X-Men 3: The Last Stand - I've talked about this before. Can'’t wait, but I've got some real reservations about how it will turn out. I don'’t really trust the director and it was made far too fast. They pushed the release date up several months and rushed it through pre- and post-production. We'll see...

Poseidon - This is a maybe for me. I like Josh Lucas and I like disaster movies. I'’ll probably wait to hear some reviews.

June coming soon...

4 Comments:

At May 19, 2006 11:20 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

If I may put in my two cents .. avoid Poseidon like the plague ... Granted, for the ladies, it does have Josh Lucas, and for the fellas, it does have Emmy Rossum, but it also has very wooden dialogue and is unfortunately very, very boring for long stretches

 
At May 19, 2006 11:37 AM, Blogger Mom25 said...

I'm always so glad to read your comments about movies, etc. since I'm pretty ignorant about the Hollywood world. At least I can know what your cousins are watching! haha Was also glad to hear your opinion of the DaVinci Code since Drew and I were having a hard time with that one. Are you going to comment on Superman? The "super-hero" boy at our house would like to hear from you on that one! How's the roses? Love you!

 
At May 20, 2006 2:27 PM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

I was actually interested in going to see the Da Vinci Code just to see what it’s about as I haven’t read the book and would kind of like to know what all the hullabaloo is about. I plainly realize its fiction and have read enough about the background of the story to know it’s basis on anything real is farfetched to say the least. Plus, I agree with you that Christians should know what this is about so that they can talk about it reasonably educated on the topic. This movie / book may be the closest thing some people interact with that would get them interested in asking questions about faith and God and Jesus and the Bible. Hopefully, there will be those that can point the interested ones towards something real and not just leave them with an account of a work of fiction in their minds as truth.

Having said that though, the reviews for the movie are not coming in very good. The main complaints seem to be ‘long and tedious’. I’ve sat through boring movies before, and don’t really want to pay to sit through another one. (though nothing could be worse than sitting through The Talented Mr Ripley – oh, that was awful :) So I’m rather undecided on whether to go see this. It’s not about the content – but bad film making is still bad film making…

I’m really pumped about X3, and I think it’s going to be good. Probably not as good as the first one, but good nonetheless. I still kind of wish Singer would have completed the trilogy, but being they kept all the same actors and have stalwarts like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, and Hugh Jackman still on board, hopefully Ratner will be able to pull this off. If it’s bad though, expect the internet to crack in half from the outrage of the fanboys :)

 
At May 26, 2006 10:43 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Saw Poseidon tonight. The first one still rates for the script. This was more about the action which was non-stop (kinda felt like I needed a drink afterward) and, of course, Josh Lucas. Boy, was it about Josh Lucas...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home