Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Friday, May 19, 2006

My garden, the love letter...


This is what I have been spending a lot of my time and energy on this spring. When life was getting crazy and just too much for me, I spent a lot of time planning this garden. It's been an incredible amount of work, but it's finally coming together. There is a little more to do, but it's more along the lines of cleanup.

This is my new mailbox. Mom and Dad gave it to me and Dad helped me install it. We spent a day playing with dirt and cement. :-) It was fun. I decided to plant petunias because I wanted some immediate color. I also added Daisies because I think they are the happiest flower. I love Daisies. I'm not sure when they will bloom, but I'm looking forward to it!






Here are several of my rose bushes. They are in little pots, waiting to be planted. I had them sitting out on the front lawn so they could get plenty of sun. (That weird black smudge is my shadow while I'm taking the picture!) :-) :-)










So, here is what the left side of my house looks like. There are little rose bushes and a larger tree. These bushes are Ambridge Rose, Abraham Darby, two Icebergs, Bonica, Summer Fashion, and Queen Elizabeth.



Here is the right side. :-) Here I planted Quietness, Tamora, Sharifa Asma, Heritage, Lafter, Glamis Castle, Fragrant Cloud, Moonstone, and Veteran's Honor. There is actually a bloom on the Fragrant Cloud bush.


And here is that bloom! My first rose! (Jill does "the Dance of Joy." Both Balki's and Numfar's.) :-) :-) I'm so grateful for the flowers that will be blooming this summer. There is something in my heart that is really crying out for beauty that is made by God. I have a deep need right now to see His tangible love. For some reason, roses speak that to me. Thank you, Jesus, for roses.

3 Comments:

At May 20, 2006 9:03 AM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Wow. How fun. I have to say that I'm a little bit jealous. Not knowing what I'm doing in life right now doesn't really give me the freedom to make my yard beautiful. I understand the craving for tangible beauty...I just wish something in my life was tangible, known, safe...

 
At May 20, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

I don’t know flowers from dirt, but I can appreciate hard work and just wanted to say I liked that shot of the mailbox. You don’t see enough of those classic mailboxes like that anymore. Reminded me of something from years ago. After the mailbox at the end of the lane of my Grandparents farm got vandalized, we gave them a new mailbox and my Mom hand painted Grandpa’s name on it (in cursive!). He liked it so much that he faithfully put the box out in the morning and took it in at night so it wouldn’t get vandalized again…

Oh, and kudos on working in a Perfect Strangers reference – that’s not an easy thing to do :-)

 
At May 26, 2006 7:19 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see all the flowers in bloom. Great job on all your hard work!
love ya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home