Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Inspector Lynley

I think I've mentioned before that I love British mysteries. Well - I've found a new one. The Inspector Lynley Mysteries. The set-up is that a rather upper crust English lord, Thomas Lynley, is a police inspector. He is paired with a very lower working class partner, Barbara Havers. (I just love the upstairs/downstairs cultural clashes.) They bring their unique perspectives and sharp banter to solving murders.

The Brits do know how to put on a good story. This particular one is based on a set of novels by an American author, Elisabeth George. I was somewhat surprised when I learned that George had written the original stories. I guess I just don't expect a good British murder story out of an American author. The stories keep getting better and better. I'm in the middle of the second series and can't wait to watch the rest.

I think my favorite part of the story is the chemistry between the two leads. It's not romantic, in fact they are involved with other people. But there is definitely something there. A touch of unresolved tension that keeps the story interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home