Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

National Novel Writing Month

I've decided to tackle a monster of a challenge next month. November is National Novel Writing Month and the challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. This is approximately 1670 words per day! I am going to attempt it. Part of my reluctance to write is that I am such a perfectionist. I don't want to put any words on the paper unless the scene is perfect. Well, that's impossible.

I realized that the only time in my life that I wrote anything consistently was when I took writing classes in college. I have fond memories of Jessica and I sitting in the living room typing away furiously, trying to meet deadlines. (Every once in awhile, she could tell I was playing minesweeper by the sound of my mouse clicks. She would always get me back on track. I miss you, Jessica!)

The beauty of NaNoWriMo is that you don't have to write a good novel. It can be totally crappy. It just has to be 50,000 words. This is what I need. I need to get words on the page, so that I can then go back and edit -- seeking perfection. :-) :-) Wish me luck... Does anyone want to join me?

3 Comments:

At October 25, 2006 10:15 PM, Blogger Sandie said...

You go, girl. I'm rooting for you!
Momma

 
At October 27, 2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

You're hiLARious! I totally forgot about minesweeper. I might make some stabs at writing next month but with the time frame we're in around here it might be next to impossible.

 
At October 30, 2006 2:57 AM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

That's a cool challenge to take on. I signed up last year and failed miserably at making the count. I might try it again this year, but I know going in I won't make it. Hours at work have gone up, but since it's only temporary I have to take the extra money while I can, and unfortuanately it cramps my writing time. Then again, I'd be happy with a 25,000 word month :)

What kind of story or genre are you going to be writing about? Post some of it up here as you go - I'd love to read it. Good luck :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home