Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

State of the Heart

I've been thinking about posting a bit more on how I am doing personally and the post of a friend challenged me to do so -- so here goes. Much of my family (and several close friends) are very far away. This is primarily for you. For the rest of you -- welcome to a picture of my heart today. You are welcome also, but you certainly don't have to stick around for the story...

I told a bit of my story in practicum last night. (Practicum is a class I am taking at a local seminary. It is a "practical" working out of principles we are learning in our other classes. It functions as a sort of guided therapy session, although that is a very inadequate description.) Last night, I told a piece of my story to the group and a few of my fellow students worked through it with me, with guidance from our professor. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that it really touched on some beliefs I carry about myself.

I came home from that meeting feeling like I had said a lot of really dumb things. That my story was dumb and my responses to questions were really dumb. And yet, I know I am not a dumb person! In fact, I'm pretty smart. It's kinda of a weird dynamic. I know that what I said was fine. There wasn't anything spectacularly stupid in it. So why do I feel like there was? I think I've come to a point in my journey where I can step back and say, "Okay, that's not the truth. Where is that coming from?" Why do I feel like what I say is stupid and that people think I'm annoying? (I'm not really asking for affirmation here, I just want to ask the question.) What gives us these impressions of ourselves that aren't true? Why do I believe that I am unattractive and that any guy who pays attention to me is doing me a favor?

My professor challenged me with a couple of things. He asked me to "broaden my horizons." I'm really not at all sure what that means. I know that he didn't mean I need to go learn more stuff. So - what does it look like to have broad horizons? I think the answer is wrapped up in why I don't really understand the question.

Another statement that he made is that I'm not very curious about myself. I rejected that at first, but the more I think about it, the more I see that it's true. I don't really question why I believe things or react in certain ways. I've been thinking about what that means. What would it look like to be curious? (See the above paragraph for an attempt on my part.) I think I'm walking down that road a little just by writing this blog.

I'm throwing the question out into the void. What does it look like to have broad horizons? If my horizon is broad, I can see really far. There isn't a lot cluttering up my landscape. I am often easily distracted from pain or self examination by all the stuff in my life. Maybe broadening my horizons means less and not more? Less clutter and more looking. More seeing the scope of my life. (Okay, that sounded cheesy, but I like the phrase, so I'm keeping it in!) :-) I struggle to see myself and others clearly. It often seems like there is a filter that fits in front of my soul as I interact with the world. It's a filter that distorts the truth of situations.

I think broadening my horizons might involve continuing to examine that filter. Why do I have this message that I'm dumb, unattractive, and responsible for the world? Those are all lies and yet resonate pretty strong in my heart. Yuck. Maybe the filter is made of that "miry clay" that we can get stuck in. Jesus, pull me out! (Don't you just love the Psalms? I think David and the other writers went almost every place the heart can go.)

I don't want to navel gaze in the midst of this. I want to look out. To see others and their stories. I want to heal in my own life and hopefully help bring healing to others. We are all broken people living together. I kinda of like that image. Here is a bit of my brokenness. It's okay if you are a little broken also.

4 Comments:

At February 21, 2006 1:44 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Girl, I just want to say first and foremost, that I love you my dear friend. I admire so many things about you, one of them being your smarts another of them being that you had the smarts to befriend me 14 years ago. I am the richer person for having you in my life!

Secondly, I just wanted to say that I SO admire the courageous journey that you have been on probably the last year or so. Your professor had it right -- from someone who knows you farily well, you DO need to become more curious about yourself. HOWEVER, I just want to say that I have seen you step more into the realm of this curiosity in the last year than I've seen you do in all 13 years previous.

It has been fun to watch you explore your heart and not be afraid to examine it...despite at times it's broken pieces. I kind of have the picture in mind of a bunch of broken plates, ceramics, etc. that have been lovingly fashioned into a new and even more beautiful mosaic. Have I ever told you much I'm attracted to mosaics! They always seem to tell a story in their brokenness and yet are so beautiful in and of themselves.

Okay, so I'm "blogging on your blog." "-) My prayer for you is that you would continue to take this journey forward. Know that you are not alone...I celebrate you and am here to walk with you into deeper curiosity -- we'll do it over gallons of coffee and in person very soon!!

HUUUGGGG.

 
At February 21, 2006 4:16 PM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

Very interesting post. You raise some good thoughts and questions. There are no easy answers, of course, but at least you're looking. I see so many people who look like they're just sleep walking through life. Why is it though, when you start digging, only more questions seem to come?

Everybody has a filter on their outlook on life. That's what makes people...well, human. It's the interaction with all these views through filters that makes life interesting (painful and irritating sometimes too :). However, if you can see that your filter is distorting the truth, then you're way ahead of most people.

We're all broken in some way. Thank God for his help in patching us up and helping us down life's roads until we finally get to the other side where things will become clear and we will see the reasons for the trials and troubles and the good they produced. I don't know, but maybe that's the broader horizon. Realizing we're all a small part in a much bigger picture, His picture, and not getting bogged down in the lies life on this earth seems to produce.

 
At February 22, 2006 1:49 PM, Blogger alethea said...

Great reflections! Sounds like dinner conversation for the journey ahead. You've got lots of people willing to sit around with you as you ponder these things in your heart. Seems like a good place to be.

 
At February 22, 2006 4:27 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hey Jill -- thanks for having the courage to be so transparent. First -- you're awesome. Second, I was talking to a friend the other day and I realized that one of the best things that can happen to us is to see ourselves for real, and to become content with our real selves. Then other people's opinions aren't so powerful. Just a thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home