Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Friday, February 17, 2006

Blast from the Past

I was hanging around at Wal-mart this afternoon, waiting for my flat tire to be fixed. Yuck. (Having to wait for the AAA guy while it's bazillion below zero is not my favorite way to spend a Friday afternoon.) Anyway - I decided to treat myself to a DVD I been thinking about for a while -- Season One of The Muppet Show

"It's time to play the music! It's time to light the lights! It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight!!"

I forgot how funny it was!! The very first skit is the "Mahna Mahna" song. It's currently being used on a Dr. Pepper commercial. (The one with the girl in the restaurant with the amazing guy and after she sips her Dr. Pepper, all she can hear is people singing, "Manamana...") I never realized that it was from the Muppet Show. Anyway - it's just getting better. It's so self-referential. Kermit keeps drawing our attention to the fact that he's a puppet and how weird it is that he is doing all the stuff he is doing. It truly is brilliant. I'm genuinely looking forward to the rest.

Later...okay, now it's the second episode and Connie Stevens is coming on to Kermit... That's just weird.

I think I'm going to have a running commentary. I just can't resist. Now it's episode three and Joel Grey is performing "Cabaret" with the Muppets. To me, Joel Grey is the old man who tried to kill Dawn on to of the scaffolding at the end of Buffy Season 5. I know that he is famous for his work on Broadway, but he'll always be that very creepy man to me. So, here he is on the Muppet Show as a much younger, happy man. So strange...but fun! Kermit is asking him about his little daughter, Jennifer. (She grew up to be "Baby" in Dirty Dancing :-)

6 Comments:

At February 17, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger alethea said...

Ok...that is a DVD I was hoping to one day own! I didn't know you liked them too. I will look forward to watching some episodes sometime with you :)

 
At February 18, 2006 8:04 AM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Come on over, let's watch!

 
At February 18, 2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Jenni said...

Invite me over when you do. I LOVE the muppet show. It cracks me up!-Jenni

 
At February 18, 2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Okay - Muppets tonight! Saturday, the 18th. Come over and we can laugh together...

 
At February 18, 2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

I want to come (said in a very whiney tone)!!!

 
At February 18, 2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

We'll have an encore when you visit. (Actually, I don't think tonight is going to work out anyway. Bummer.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home