Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Monday, February 06, 2006

Likeable protagonists we don't like

I loved this post from Mark T.R. Donohue over at SMRT-TV.

I just hate that guy


Donohue takes an approach that I never considered. (and he uses some of my absolute favorite shows to prove his point.) It's funny that I am just finishing up watching the first season of Deep Space Nine and he is completely correct about Julian Bashir. I remember the doctor from much later in the show and I loved his character. During the first season, I keep thinking, "Oh grow up!" I am looking forward to watching his character grow as the seasons progress. I wonder why he didn't include Wesley from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Wesley started out as the dorkiest of all dorky guys and his character grew into one of the toughest men on TV. Wesley was smart, tough and good in a fight. He learned how to deal with women and various demon bad guys. When he first arrived on Buffy, he annoyed everyone. When he left Angel, everyone cried.

In other news - Amazon is having a sale on a lot of Fox TV shows. Check it out if you're interested.
Amazon's 50% off TV sale

3 Comments:

At February 07, 2006 4:36 AM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

Interesting article. And yes, definately, Wesley from Angel season 1 to the Wesley from Season 5 was a complete character change, and yet every step of the way it seemed to fit. That's great writing and great acting. I haven't watched as much of BtVS as I've had trouble getting into it, but from what little I've seen it would seem that the Dawn character had a changing character arc as well. The Space station here seems to have BtVS Season 7 on permanent loop, so I've seen a lot of those eps, and the Dawn character who was gratingly annoying in earlier bits I had seen seemed a much better character near the end. The "extra-ordinary normal person" conversation between Dawn and Xander was remarkably well done. That whole 7th season ep surprised me considering how little I thought of the Dawn character previously. Just goes to show what can be done in the hands of a good writer.

Thanks for the heads up about the Amazon sale. I've bought some good deals from there on past TV sales, and might do it again. I'd be really stoked about it if I didn't already own all 5 Angel seasons. Ironically, even on sale the BtVS 7 individual sets cost more than the complete box set. ...Hey! Is that Family Guy Vol. 2 on sale?! Sweet! That show cracks me up...

 
At February 07, 2006 11:33 AM, Blogger Mom25 said...

OK well I don't watch ANY of those shows so I'm totally out of those comments. Sorry I was never much of a Trekky or even a Star Warsy!I'm barely able to sit down long enough to watch ER and I'm beginning to wonder why I still watch it. Pretty much blood and guts for me. Ya know??? CSI, ER, House. Anyway, your little cousin could probably give you some great comments but his blog is on Xanga and I'm not sure if these places will cross over into each other. If you get the chance though check him out at egotripper77.xanga.com. He LOVES to get into conversations about movies, etc.

 
At February 07, 2006 1:18 PM, Blogger Mom25 said...

Oh, by the way, my blog is "whatsamothertodo" duh!!! It's not nearly as intellectual as yours but then . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home