Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Monday, January 23, 2006

My Life These Days

You how we tend to greet each other here in America? "How's it going?" or "How you doing?" So - what do you say if you are uncomfortable with a bald face lie and life isn't the greatest and hasn't been for weeks? I tend to fall back on the hesitant, "okay..." It implies that I'm hanging in, but things aren't perfect. Which is the truth. Life isn't that fun right now in almost every area, but I also know that it's only a season. If nothing else, Heaven awaits someday! :-) Anyway - here's a few lyrics that capture my heart today.

Bring On The Rain - Jo Dee Messina

Another day has almost come and gone
Can’t imagine what else could wrong
Sometimes I'd like to hide away somewhere and lock the door
A single battle lost but not the war ('cause)

Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

It's almost like the hard times circle 'round
A couple drops and they all start coming down
Yeah, I might feel defeated,
I might hang my head
I might be barely breathing - but I'm not dead

Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain


One thing that I'm grateful for - I don't feel like I have to make myself happy. It's okay to be sad. I'm sad. When I think about my personal life and work right now, I think it would be more that slightly insane if I wasn't sad. Jesus is still on the throne and he is good. It's weird to try to explain, but there is a joy that is a foundation in my depression. (Not that I'm actually depressed....I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.) My sadness is, in large part, based on some recent circumstances. My joy is based on eternal truths. I bet I know which one will win... I've given myself permission to be sad for a little bit. I don't have to try to fix it or make myself happy. Just be.


4 Comments:

At January 24, 2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Exactly, my dear friend. I am with you in more ways than you know. And, I am praying for you today as well.

 
At January 24, 2006 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear sweet girl. Life is just always like that. Your Grandmother was a PRIME example of being basically happy and with joy most of the time but also being sad sometimes. I'm like that too so maybe it's a "genetic" thing! So thankfully, God is still there and the same no matter what! Love you!

 
At January 24, 2006 1:26 PM, Blogger alethea said...

Thanks for sharing your heart. It such a beautiful thing.

 
At January 25, 2006 4:04 AM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

Good lyrics - one of the few Messina songs I like as well...

There's nothing wrong with being sad for awhile, as long as you don't get stuck there. Just be, feel what you gotta feel for now. Life isn't static, things have a habit of changing. I hope whatever you're dealing with gets better. You've got faith in the right One, and He's got a remarkable ability to change the course of where we think our lives are going when we least expect it.

Hang in there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home