Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tim McGraw song

The radio station in my car has three spots it rests on - NPR, the classic rock station and a country station. Since I no longer have the opportunity to dance (why doesn't Kansas have any good places to dance??) I usually listen to country in the car. Anyway - several months ago I heard a Tim McGraw song that I dismissed without really listening to it. I heard it again a few days ago and for some reason the lyrics struck me. Here they are:

Drugs or Jesus

In my home town
For anyone who sticks around

You're either lost or you're found

There's not much in between

In my home town

Everything's still black and white

It's a long, long way from wrong to right

From Sunday morning to Saturday night


Everybody just wants to get high

Sit and watch a perfect world go by
We're all looking for love and meaning in our lives

We follow the roads that lead us

To drugs or Jesus


My whole life
I've tried to run,
I've tried to hide

From the stained glass windows in my mind

Refusing to let God's light shine

Down on me
Down on me

Everybody just wants to get high

Sit and watch a perfect world go by

We're all looking for love and meaning in our lives

There's not much space between us

Drugs or Jesus


Everybody wants acceptance

We all just want some proof

Everyone's just looking for the truth


Everybody just wants to get high

Sit and watch a perfect world go by

We're all looking for love and meaning in our lives

We follow the roads that lead us

To drugs or Jesus

To drugs or Jesus

Oh I need you Jesus

Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah

It's the chorus that made me think. My first reaction was, "That doesn't make sense -- there are tons of people who fall somewhere between drugs and Jesus." And yet, what if drugs are a metaphor for anything that helps you make life work apart from God? What do I "get high" on? Affirmation from others? The TV show, book or movie that I use as an escape? Sleeping? Food? Anything that I am using to escape from my life or to try and make my life work apart from God is essentially a drug. How do I try to anesthetize my heart?

This song made me think about what I am giving myself to these days and is it worth it? Is there anything apart from Jesus that helps in the long run? No. Yet, I sure seem to keep trying. The past few months have been a long series of running to Jesus and then stepping back, only to run to Jesus again. Am so grateful that I can sit down every morning with my cup of coffee, my journal and the Bible. Jesus meets me there. What a miracle -- every day. Thank you, Lord.

3 Comments:

At January 11, 2006 12:04 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Good question, "How do I try to anesthetize my heart?" Am going to have to think about that one.

 
At January 11, 2006 3:13 PM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

I had similar thoughts when I heard that song - There's a lot of room in between drugs and Jesus. However, I like your thoughts on it being a metaphor, and the questions that leads to. It's a credit to the songwriters and McGraw for cutting a song like that and getting radio play with it. If it makes people stop and think about life, drugs, Jesus, and everything in between, then it's done more in one song than 90% of what's heard on the radio these days...

 
At January 12, 2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Haven't heard this -- thanks for the tip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home