Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Identity Crisis

I've been trying to educate myself in comic book history and lore over the past year or so. Joss Whedon started writing the New X-Men comic series (Astonishing X-Men) and that's what started the new interest. I also went to a conference and heard Scott McCloud speak. He is the author of Understanding Comics. He opened my eyes to a deeper understanding of how comics work. They are fascinating!!

Anyway - I picked up a copy of Indentity Crisis by Brad Meltzer. Wow. Up to this point I didn't know much about the DC comic world other than the movies and cheesy TV shows. This was a powerful introduction. The superhero community is threatened in a way that strikes at the emotional core of everyone. We all have people in our lives who are vulnerable. The end and the reveal strike even closer to home for me. What lengths would I go to to keep the people I love around me? Obviously not this far, but what a powerful story. I don't want to say anymore because it'll ruin the story, but I recommend this collection if you are interested in the DC universe.

On a side note - if you like darker fare - there is nothing that stacks up to Neal Gaiman's The Sandman. Incredibly dark and very riveting. A former student introduced me to these graphic novels and I couldn't put them down. Until I got the to the penultimate one. I just can't bare to read any farther. I know that my favorite character is going to die and I don't want that to happen. I guess I thought if I just stopped reading, it wouldn't happen. I know -- it's very silly...but I just can't bring myself to finish. Crazy, isn't it?

1 Comments:

At January 11, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

A fellow comic fan - that's always good news. Comics and graphic novels are given a rather narrow view from the mass public, but when good writing and good art come together, they can produce excellent stories.

Astonishing X-Men was good (not the best Wolverine depiction, but close enough), along with some of the trademark Whedon humour. I also really liked the return of Colossus and Kitty and their interaction as they tried to pick up where they left off.

Identity Crisis - that is quite the one to pick for an intro to DC. It's one that is high on my list to read, the next time my budget allows an Amazon order (haha). I followed the storyline on Comixfan.com, so I kind of know the gist of it and how controversial it was. Looking forward to reading it in its entirety. If you like DC and want a good Batman story, I highly recommend The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb. It's an excellent mystery / detective story with an ironic ending as it also looks at Bruce Wayne / Batman's friendships and loyalties.

I've heard nothing but good things about Gaiman's The Sandman, so I hope to read it too someday. Though now I might be a little leary of the ending ;) Good luck finishing it...

PS - thanks for dropping by Eagle's Roost and the nice comments, especially the feedback on the X-Men pic. It was a lot of trial & error, but a lot of fun to make.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home