Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, January 14, 2006

What is the plural of "alias"?

Okay - I had to laugh this morning. As many of you know, Jill Pole is not my real name. For several reasons, I use an alias on the Internet. (A key one is that I don't want my high school students to be able to Google my name and find my blog. They don't need to know that I have a real life outside of school...) :-)

Anyway - several of my friends also use an alias on their blogs, comments, etc. This is getting hilarious, because we are now referring to each other by our aliases on each other's blogs. For some reason, I just find it amusing.

This is Jill Pole, signing off...

2 Comments:

At January 14, 2006 11:15 AM, Blogger alethea said...

Hey Jill, alter-ego of my dear friend! Here are some thoughts on this "alias" trend(yeah...what is the plural? ALI-ASSES?):

It makes me think of Superman. He is known by heart and name to only a few people in the close inner circle. That helps protect his identity, mission, heart, and life. Right? (Remember...I'm not really a comic book afficianado!) He has an alias when he gives to the outer circle--the world. It creates alot of mystery in his life. Those who are near the inner circle might feel agitated by all the mystery. In some sense, Jesus even took this approach to sharing his heart as a man living among people. When there is mutual belief and trust (inner circle) you'll know me by name and heart, not just alias!

Now, responding to your link to the pictures on the previous post. I, again, am not a Superman fanatic. So as I looked at the pictures my mind started weaving in the thoughts I was having about relationship and community. When I saw the pic of Kevin Sp. and the Superman actor hugging on the last day of shooting, I had an actual deep thought about actors in Hollywood. Hmmm. I think God is there. Just the nature of having to spend day-in and day-out on a project together, filming on location or whatever. You'd have to be drawn in, and feel the invitation of God's heart for relationship. I often think of Hollywood as such a shallow place, filled with shallow people. That picture helped me see that they are actually participating in the great script-writing session of God. A film, yet to be released.

 
At January 14, 2006 2:26 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

So, what are you saying? That I'm not really Blythe Lane?? I think Alethea penned it beautifully so I won't belabor her prose but to offer one more thought: it is intrinsic to my femininity that I offer mystery as well. Often mystery is pursued by masculinity. Void of the masculine pursuit in my life lately I've felt the need to risk the mysterious, undiscovered part of me to others. This is Blythe Lane, signing off. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home