Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Olympics

Well, first I have to say that I'm not a sports girl. Those of you who know me will laugh at that. I'm REALLY not a sports girl. That said - I do get involved with the game if someone I know cares about it. If they care, I care. (Which means that my team loyalties tend to depend on who I'm with, although I do tend to like the underdog.) I've found that if someone will tell me a story about the players or the team, I'm much more likely to care. Why is it important that this person or this team wins??

As a result, I haven't been watching much of the Olympics. My roommate is out of town and I usually get caught up in sports when she turns them on. However, I've noticed that several people I know are keeping a medal count. This seems to be some sort of ranking of value for the country. We have more medals than you = we are better. Hmmm. There's something in me that rejects this. (I don't like it in the Summer Olympics either.) What if a smaller country sent one team that had worked for years to get there and earned 4th place? That's an amazing story. Those are the pieces of the Olympics that I am interested. When Keri Scrug did that vault on her damaged ankle, when the Jamaican bob-sled team competed, etc.

However, it is kinda fun to keep track of the tally -- congratulations to Canada and Russia! (I don't know anyone from Germany or Norway.) :-) I think what started me thinking about this was yesterday when Alexey (a student of mine from Russia) asked to check the medal count before class started. He was pretty proud that Russia was second. I liked that and because of Alexey, if Russia obliterates the U.S. in the medal count -- that's okay with me.

6 Comments:

At February 18, 2006 9:15 AM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Thanks for caring about the little people, my friend. I personally appreciate it when were together and it's college football season and you humor my need to watch it. It blesses me! :-)

 
At February 18, 2006 12:30 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Go Sooners!!! LOL

 
At February 18, 2006 1:48 PM, Blogger The Bearded said...

Ryan and I may be your polar opposite when it comes to sports (have you noticed how many of postings are on sports?!).

In addition to the good ol' USA, I find myself cheering for Canada--my dad's side of the family originally emigrated to Canada and most still are found in the Great White North--and Norway because I was in Lillehammer for the '94 Olympics.

I think I will always remember this bar scene during one of the skiing events when the last 3 skiiers were Norweigian. With each run down the hill one of them knocked someone else out of the top and with each run the pub grew in excitement. When the final run had taken place, and Norway had finished 1-2-3, the place went NUTS!!!

Even though an American had been knocked out of medal contention, you couldn't help but smile and enjoy the moment as everyone was singing and dancing on the tables. Truly one of my favorite memories from my time as an exchange student.

 
At February 18, 2006 3:57 PM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

I agree with your thoughts on the medal count being overrated, but it's really just a pride in your country thing, not necessarily a better than you thing - or that's how I look at it. Of course, if we're talking hockey, that's a different thing altogether :)

And yes, the personal stories of hard work and willpower are always better than the "what team beat what team" rankings. I always think about the athletes that work so hard for four years to get to this point and then just miss it by something like one little mistake or an injury or something. Imagine what goes through their heads the rest of their lives...

 
At February 18, 2006 4:55 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Eaglewing - I didn't mean to imply that you were doing that "we're better" thing at all! (It was more some of the kids at the high school I seem to live in.) :-) Sometimes they can be a little snotty about the US, and petulent when we aren't "winning." Hopefully, they'll mature. :-) BTW - since I don't know anything about hockey (although I did go to a game once in college - it was fun,) I completely believe you about Canada's superiority in hockey. Any particular team I should notice?

 
At February 19, 2006 3:30 AM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

Wait, I didn't mean to imply that you were implying that I was implying...oh dear, I've think I've gone cross-eyed :)

As for hockey, I don't know how superior Canada is hockey wise after losing to Switzerland (!?!) Here's hoping it was a fluke...

NHL wise - if you're looking for a team to watch, the Ottawa Senators are a real powerhouse team this year, and fun to watch too. If I was being a homer, I'd say the Toronto Maple Leafs, but they're no good this year. Besides, my sentimental favorite will always be the Edmonton Oilers...so, sorry you asked? ;-)

Good luck with the high school kids...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home