Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Trailers...

Lady in the Water - this is M. Night Shyamalan's new film. I'm not sure what it's about, but I think I love that about this trailer. It really bugs me when a trailer gives away the main plot points of the movie. It should just tease me enough that I want to see the film. This does. Is it about mermaids? Then why the swimming pool? And I like the maintenance man.

G - This is a hip-hop version of The Great Gatsby. I'm not sure what I think about it, but the trailer certainly follows the story. I think when I teach Gatsby this spring, I'm going to show my class the trailer as a way to talk about the major themes in the book. They are still relevant and I think students often miss that.

Memoirs of a Geisha - I might have put this one up before. It is based on an excellent novel. I also love the actors and director. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.

Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World - This could be really good. Or really bad. I'm definitely intrigued.

4 Comments:

At November 23, 2005 9:47 PM, Blogger f. said...

Just commenting to say that I get the joke- calling yourself after a Narnia character. I thought a high school teacher might like that a student reads at least THAT much.

 
At November 24, 2005 9:02 AM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Thanks! Sometimes my humor falls a little flat. It's always a bummer when I crack a joke in class and I get a lot of blank faces staring back at me. :-) Keep reading!

 
At November 26, 2005 11:25 AM, Blogger The Bearded said...

Blank faces are the best!! I have days (weeks?) where I tell jokes to myself because I have found it to be fun regardless of their reaction. In fact, I often encouraged to tell more jokes the less they respond.

Not sure what that says about my class. ha!

 
At November 28, 2005 12:51 PM, Blogger alethea said...

Again...thank you for presenting me with some exceptional movie teasers. I was captivated by THE LADY IN THE WATER! Must see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home