Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Thoughts for today

We had a bomb go off at my school today. It's been a little weird. I didn't even hear it. My principal sent out an e-mail to staff that a chemical bomb went off in A-Hall. Honestly, I wasn't even sure what a chemical bomb was. It kinda freaked me out.

It turns out that the whole thing was a prank more than anything else. It was a small bomb. (That seems like a weird sentence.) Anyway - the police took the student away, but I guess I still feel a little strange. What if it hadn't been a small bomb? I was trying to think what I would have done. If there is a threat, the principal announces on the intercom that we are in a lockdown. But today, my class was in the library. My student teacher was working with them and I was up here in my room grading essays. I realized that my first instinct was to lock my door behind me and race down the half flight of stairs to the library. Yet, that's probably not a good idea. But, I couldn't just lock myself in my room alone when my students are downstairs. Anyway - I'm just a little shaken up by the whole thing. It probably wouldn't be that hard to put a real bomb in the school. There are just too many entrances and too many people. That's a little frightening. We rely on the good will of teenagers to keep a safe environment and it only takes one who doesn't want it to create a disaster.

What has happened to this generation? I realize that I am not the first person to ask this question...I guess I'm just wondering a little more today.

1 Comments:

At November 22, 2005 9:06 PM, Blogger alethea said...

I was excited to read an update on your blog, but literally sickened that you experienced those realities today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home