Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Too much...

As most of you know, I love TV on DVD. Love it. I also love science fiction, especially Star Trek . It has a very special place in my heart for several reasons, not the least of which is that Star Trek and Star Wars were my first loves in sci-fi. My mom and I used to watch The Next Generation together. In fact, I remember that we snuck off to a hotel during fall conference when I was in middle school to watch the premiere of season one. (Okay - that might be a false memory, but I do remember sneaking off with Mom at some point to watch Star Trek... Mom? What's the real story?)

So - here is the point to this little post. I found this on Amazon...



This is just crazy. I would LOVE to own all of Star Trek on DVD. I would even be willing to sacrifice a little to buy it. BUT - I am not spending $2,500. to own it! This is with the Amazon discount. These seasons (28) are $120 full price. That's $3,360. Plus the ten movies at $15-20 a pop (another $150-200). Anyway - I wish I had money to burn, but I don't. I think the thing that frustrates me the most is that many shows are much, much cheaper. Most TV seasons list for $35-50. That is much more manageable. I can justify spending around $2 per episode when I watch them more than once and many of my friends borrow them. But $6 per episode - nope. If Paramount would sell Star Trek at a comparable price, I think they would see a huge increase in buyers. These shows have a wider appeal than Stargate, Babylon 5, or Farscape. Unfortunately, the price has limited the market potential to die-hard fans who are wealthy.

I am encouraged by news from The X-Files camp. This is another series that has had a list price of $120. I'd be interested in the show if it were cheaper, but there's no way I'll spend that. In January, Season One will be $37.48. That's almost a no brainer for me. Of course I'll get it. If only Star Trek would do this also...

1 Comments:

At November 14, 2005 8:54 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

That memory is very accurate. We did skip something at the Fall Retreat in order to watch the premiere! My love of Star Trek goes all the way back to the original series that aired in my teen years. I guess I got my love of sci-fi from my father. I didn't actually read the books, just watched the show, but you have enlightened me and given me many hours of reading enjoyment by loaning me your books! I do agree about the price of the Star Trek DVD's. Not going to be in your stocking! Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home