Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Back to the book thing

First of all - you may notice a link or two off to the right for specific items. These are books or DVDs that people have told me they plan to buy and want to donate a little to my site by purchasing them through a link here. (If you have something you know you are going to purchase and want to send a few pennies my way, just let me know and I'll put a link for it up here.) Anyway - my mom is recommending For Women Only to several people, so that link might stay up for awhile.

Back to what I was talking about on Monday... I'm not sure what is going on with me and books. I still love to read, but I've noticed recently that I would rather re-read something I have read before than try something new. It's similar with DVDs. I find myself wanting to watch stories that I have seen before as much, or more, than I want to watch something new. I wonder why?

I believe that part of it is that there is something comforting to me in knowing the outcome. It's sort of like putting on a well-worn pair of jeans and ratty sweater and settling in with a cup of cocoa in the winter. I re-read the Chronicles of Narnia every few years and love the stories every time.

However, there is something else going on. I go to the bookstore with every intension of buying a new book, yet come home empty-handed. Or I start a new book, only to put it down after three or four chapters because I'm bored with the story and the characters. Or (and this has happened several times recently) I give up on the book because I just don't like any of the characters. Why would I choose to spend a few hours with people that I don't like? There is a genre of literature that I find particularly annoying when it comes to this. Chick Lit.

First of all, the name irritates me. Chick Lit? We don't have a section of the book store called "Dude Lit." And even if we did, what would be in it? Sports books? Hunting instruction manuals? How condescending is that? Why is it acceptable to name a genre of books after a gender, especially since we already have "Women's Lit." I don't actually object to being called a "chick." (Or as a friend in China used to say, "Baby Chicken!") Stuff like that doesn't offend me. What I get offended at is the idea that this type of Lit is for me. Yuck. It's all about bitter angry women who are harsh and have destructive relationships with men. I've actually tried to make it through several books. Confessions of a Shopaholic. The Devil Wears Prada. The Nanny Diaries. I gave up on all of them. I did enjoy Bridget Jones' Diary, but that has been the exception. The main characters just irritate me. Is this behavior that I am supposed to think is healthy? Please. These women desperately desire a man to make their life complete and then get bitter when it doesn't happen. Or they are harsh characters determined to go through life not needing men. Can't we have stories about modern men and women where the main characters are decent people struggling through real issues and doing their best to find genuine connection? (Maybe this is something I should write? Hmmmm....)

So - I'm not giving up on books - not at all! I just want to find something good that I can really sink my teeth into. Any suggestions??

1 Comments:

At November 06, 2005 4:39 AM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

Well, I don't know about the "Dude Lit" thing - maybe they could put up a section called "Guy Buys" or "Male Tales"...books about hunting, fishing, sports, and big explosions...

As for suggestions of what to read, I lean more towards the action thriller or dark noir stories, so I don't know if I'd be much help. However, I'm always willing to suggest The Reckoning by James Byron Huggins (action packed and still has some interesting things to say), High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (funny and interesting things to say about relationships), Cash by Johnny Cash (fascinating real life account), or you could try Graphic Novels like the Sin City series by Frank Miller or the 100 Bullets series by Brian Azzarello. From reading your blog though, I figure Cash would be your best bet.

I like rewatching and rereading familiar stuff too, but I'm always looking for that next brilliant work like Firefly / Serenity. (Found your blog searching for other bloggers that were fans.)

Good blog - keep up the writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home