Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, October 06, 2005

TV on DVD for very, very cheap

I forgot to mention earlier that Warner Brothers is having a huge sale on complete seasons of TV. Each of the following are under $20. That's cheaper than you can rent them! You do have to go to Wal-mart or Target. Amazon.com is not having the same sale. I'm not sure that the sale lasts beyond tomorrow (Friday, Oct. 8.) Target site Wal-mart site

Smallville Seasons 1&2
Gilmore Girls Seasons 1&2
West Wing Seasons 1&2
ER Seasons 1&2
The Dukes of Hazzard Seasons 1&2
Everwood Season 1
Nip/Tuck Season 1
Full House Season 1
Friends Seasons 1&2
The Waltons Season 1
Dallas Season 1
Lois and Clark Season 1
Giligan's Island Season 1&2
Wonder Woman Season 1
Everybody Loves Raymond Season 1&2
Arli$$: The Best of Arliss
Wanted: Dead or Alive Season 1
One Tree Hill Season 1

3 Comments:

At October 07, 2005 5:03 PM, Blogger The Bearded said...

Your knowledge of the TV world is amazing! I was surprised to see that you did not mention Battlestar Galactica on your review of the new TV season. Are you no longer watching? Brent has commented that he believes it to be every bit as good as the first season.

When it comes to TV shows to purchase, I have two: M*A*S*H and Samurai Jack. M*A*S*H is, I believe, the best show ever (although PTI gives it a run for its money) and Samurai Jack is simply amazing.

 
At October 08, 2005 9:19 AM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Hi - Thanks for mentioning BSG. I do enjoy that show, although the 1st half of season 2 is over for now. I think it starts up again in January. Sci-Fi Friday is fun when I have time, but usually I catch those shows on DVD. I'm enjoying the new seasons of Atlantis and SG-1, but Battlestar is waiting for DVD. Ironically, it's because I think BSG is better. That's a show that I'll want to watch all the episodes I've missed at once and I just don't have time. With the Stargates, I can watch one now and then and don't feel like I have to finish the story. As for MASH and Samurai Jack - I've heard that SJ is wonderful, but I don't watch the cartoon network. I've been wanting to catch "The Clone Wars." (Isn't that by the Samurai Jack guy?) MASH - this is one of those shows that I just never watched. I know that it was amazing...everyone says it was. I have vivid memories of watching the final episode with my dad and, of course, the theme song is beautiful. I just have never watched the show.

 
At October 08, 2005 3:46 PM, Blogger The Bearded said...

In regards to M*A*S*H, I too remember watching the last episode. Really powerful finale, espcially if you know a little about the characters and their relationships.

M*A*S*H is one of those show that if you don't watch from the beginning you miss a lot in later episodes. Shows of this caliber that can span the full-spectrum of emotions (slap-stick to tear jerkers) are rare. The song that opens and closes every chapter is a fitting theme ("Suicide is Painless").

Samurai Jack is worth your time. Look into renting it sometime. The Clone Wars were done by the same guy and are really well done. Also worth renting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home