Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Christian makes a horror movie! (gasp!)

A friend recommended I read this interview with Scott Derrickson, director and writer of The Exorcism of Emily Rose. (Emily Rose was the top grossing movie in the U.S. this last weekend by a very large margin.) I was impressed with the interview. Derrickson articulates several points that I have often wished for Christians in Hollywood. Personally I don't watch horror movies. Not because I have a moral objection to them, but because they terrify me. My imagination is far too vivid and I carry frightening stories around with me in a way that I don't quite understand. That said, I wish I could see this movie. It sounds like an awesome starting point for a deeper conversation.

Here is a quote from Derrickson that I particularly liked: "So with this film my agenda was not to persuade people to think the way I do, it was not to try to propagate my point of view. I did want to make a film that really forced the audience to ask really significant spiritual questions. It's not about providing the answers to those questions."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home