Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, October 06, 2005

The aliens brought me back...

hi Everyone - I haven't been abducted by aliens, although sometimes it feels like parts of my days are disappearing! Where do the hours go? My bedroom currently looks like a tornado ran through it, and it's been that way for awhile now. (I've realized that the neatness of my bedroom has a direct inverse relationship to my stress level.) Maybe I'll pick it up tonight. :-)

I'm having dinner with my little sister tonight. I'm excited! She is moving to the other side of the world really soon and I'm starting to get a little sick about it. I think I've been avoiding thinking about the consequences of her move. I mean, sure she's leaving -- but that means she'll be gone. I guess I just haven't thought about it like that yet. It kind of hit me the other night as I was falling asleep. I am really going to miss her. But, we get to have dinner tonight, so I'm not going to borrow tomorrow's trouble.

I've also been mulling over what I am going to say about Serenity. I saw it for the third time last night and I think I've come to a couple of conclusions. First of all -- it doesn't matter how good a movie is, a good TV show is going to beat it for me. I was thinking about how much I loved the TV version of Firefly over the film version. There is just so much that television can do that movies can't. I mean, it's the difference between two hours of movie and 20 hours of TV. It's the character development and quiet little moments that get cut out of a movie. The throw away moments between characters that reveal their hearts. I also miss the complicated sub-plots that TV can explore and movies have to delete for time considerations. All in all - TV wins for me. (Of course, it goes without saying that most TV is mindless drivel. It's only the really good stuff that I'm talking about.)

Which leads into another discussion -- what's good on TV this season? Well - here's what I am watching --

Crossing Jordan - It's a medical/police procedural, but with very quirky characters.

The West Wing - Still not as good as when Sorkin was writing, but I love the characters.

Kitchen Confidential - I might give up on this one. I'm not a fan of sitcoms, but I like the actors.

Las Vegas - My guilty pleasure! This show is just fun...

CSI:Miami - The CSI with heart. I've talked about this before.

Gilmore Girls - What can I say? The dialogue, the dialogue, the dialogue...and Kirk, Sookie, etc.

NCIS - It's a military show with quirky characters. I love Abby...(and DiNozzo.)

House - The lead is so crabby. And yet, there is great heart. He's wonderful! I highly recommend this show. The first season is out on DVD.

Commander-in-Chief - The word is still out on this. The first episodes were okay. I like the premise of a female, independent VP becoming President unexpectedly.

Veronica Mars - One of the best shows on TV. No question. (and Joss Whedon loves it...He's got a cameo in an upcoming episode.) :-)

CSI:NY - It's a little boring and needs some spark. The actors are awesome. I can't figure out why this is so bland.

Smallville - What can I say? I confess I watch this for Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum. This is a good example of my denial of "the way things are." I keep hoping for the redemption of Lex. What am I thinking? Lex Luthor is one of the iconic villains in American culture...I still want to save him.

CSI - the original...it's been getting creepier and darker for awhile. And what's with Warrick getting married??? Hello??? Can we say "artificial roadblock" to relationship with Catherine?

Numb3rs - I like it. Geeks solving crimes. Where's the bad? :-) Also - Peter McNicol is in it.


There are a few others that I am recording with the intention of watching later:

Close to Home - I haven't watched the premiere yet, but Christian Kane is in it. We'll see.

Threshold - aliens invade. That's all I know.

Lost - I'm several episodes behind...

Desperate Housewives - Interesting take on suburbia.

Grey's Anatomy - This seems to be eye candy, but there are some serious issues every now and then. Enough to keep me interested.

One Tree Hill - I'm about a season behind, but I still love the high school angst...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home