Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

What kind of life?

I was sent an excerpt from a book today over e-mail. At first I thought it was just another article on singleness. (There are a million of them.) But, as I read it, I noticed two things. There is a conversation about half way through about suffering. Good points. And then later, the question about how I want to live...

I think that question is wrapped up in the question of who I want to be. Not what kind of life do I want have -- but what kind of person do I want to be? This question has been a tremendous change for me. Instead of thinking that I don't want to give into a particular sin -- it's "I don't want to be the kind of woman who does that." It seems like a small difference, but it really quite huge. Instead of asking God to change my behavior, I'm asking him to change my heart.

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2006 7:28 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Funny. I wondered if you got this article as well. I want to read this book. Maybe we could figure out how to have an online book club??? I think it would be fun to read it together with others and dialogue about it.

I, too, thought what was said about suffering was very significant. In staff, we are going through Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands. A part of going through it is figuring out 2 Cor. 1:3-4 for each of our lives...where has the Lord allowed suffering into our lives and how have we learned to be comforted by Him...so that we can comfort others. I have used singleness as a part of my suffering story -- living my life in the light of my desires. I don't want to be a victim in this area...I want it to be used much like this gal: "The reason I'm not married is so that today the work of God might be displayed in my life."

 
At February 23, 2006 11:42 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

You've been tagged!

http://welcometomylittlecorneroftheworld.blogspot.com/2006/02/7-things-tagged.html

 
At February 24, 2006 4:38 AM, Blogger Eaglewing said...

I read this via Blythe Lane's blog and left a comment there, but I like what you had to say about it.

It's not always so much of what happens to you or doesn't happen to you in life, it's your response to it and taking responsibility for your reaction to whatever life throws at you. Not easy, but it's the one thing in life you can control; and with God's help be the person you want to be, regardless of what happens around you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home