Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Hello!

I've returned from my travels and school is underway. I have a few minutes this morning, so I thought I would just say hello and post a few thoughts. Florida was wonderful. It's beautiful and the time with my brother and sister-in-law was just incredible. I wish we could be closer, because I would love to spend time with them on a regular basis. One of my favorite things about the trip is that we got to help paint their new house. I just wish I could be there for more of the re-model. Now that my house is almost finished, I feel like I need another bigger-than-life art project! :-)

A close friend helped me put together my new china cabinet yesterday. I was incredibly impressed with how well designed this piece of furniture is. It's from the Martha Stewart Everyday line of furniture at K-Mart. The designers have made a very heavy/sturdy cabinet that is easy to put together and has several quality details that I was not expecting in a piece of prefab furniture. I only wish that my kitchen needed an island. (That's probably my favorite piece.) :-) Check it out.

As for movies and music - I've been listening to Green Day's American Idiot in my car lately. I am impressed with the CD. I think I will like it even more if I can sit down and read the lyrics. Green Day has done a concept album in a way that I haven't seen in awhile. Some reviews have called it one of the greatest rock concept albums of all time. I'm not sure if I'm going there yet, but I am certainly enjoying it. It's pretty lefty, so if that pushes your buttons, don't pick it up.

Of course, I can't have a new post without giving you some trailers...
Aeon Flux - I am definitely looking forward to this one.
Jarhead - I'm not sure about this one. It's about Desert Storm and the Marines. I'll probably wait to get a review from a friend before watching it.
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan - A PBS documentary by Martin Scorsese. Airs on Sept. 26-27.

Quick question for friends - Does anyone have an SPL meter I could borrow? I am trying to setup and calibrate my sound system and I don't want to pay the $50 to buy one. However, if I really want to get good sound, my research has said (pretty much across the board) that I need to use one. After all, what's the point of having a nice sound system if the sound doesn't come out correctly? I would be so grateful if I could borrow a meter some Saturday afternoon in the near future. Thanks!

3 Comments:

At August 21, 2005 2:50 PM, Blogger alethea said...

Thanks for the movie clips. I think Aeon Flux looks really interesting. It makes me think about the movie, THE ISLAND, a little bit. I think of those overlapping themes of striving for a "perfect" world and the ones who see through the veneer and rebel. I wondered two things when I watched the clip: 1) What will this movie show as the impetus (Jill, note your impact on my vocabulary) for creating a perferct world? In THE ISLAND it was the desire to live longer. 2)What does it take to be a part of the rebel group? It always looks like you have to be so cunning and talented! I wonder if I have what it takes to be a rebel when life deems it necessary.

JARHEAD, btw, is based off of a book by the same name. I wish I had time to read it before I see the movie. My walking partner really enjoyed the book for its raw, honest portrayal of the microcosm of the armed forces. The trailer looked like it would be true to my friend's description of the book.

Finally, I can't remember who quoted Einstein this past week, be it some one in my real life or some fictional character in a movie or TV. But when I heard this quote, it stuck with me. Obviously more so than the context of the moment did! I offer the quote here since both of the clips were about war in some sense. Not to end on a "downer" note, but rather an interesting insight into Einstein's extrapolation of the course toward which he believed humanity is headed.


"I don't know what kind of weapons will be used in the third world war, assuming there will be a third world war. But I can tell you what the fourth world war will be fought with -- stone clubs."
-- Albert Einstein (1875-1955), German-born American theoretical physicist, theories of relativity, philosopher

 
At August 21, 2005 2:52 PM, Blogger Chris said...

welcome back! aeon flux looks interesting.

 
At August 21, 2005 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aeon Flux looks interesting. Always hard to tell how an animated series translated to live-action will go, but we will see.

No SPL meter. Not even sure what one is. Shows my ignorance on the whole home theater front. Hope school is going well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home