Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Trailer and Today's Questions

Here is the trailer for V for Vendetta. I'm intrigued. Natalie Portman is usually quite good and Hugo Weaving is always a delight. Of course, I am always interested in movies based on comic books and graphic novels.

I saw The Island yesterday. It has not been getting very good reviews, but I enjoyed it. It was a little slow at the beginning, but the slowness was a great story technique. It conveyed the setting and the characters' situation quite well. The film is not a copy of the Matrix, even though a few elements were similar. The story is completely different. Ewan MacGregor does a great job of playing two completely different characters. It was fun to watch him interact with himself. Also - Sean Bean and Steve Buscemi... What else needs to be said? :-)

Here are today's questions:
1. Do you consider yourself a "fan" of reality TV?
Absolutely not! I hate it with a passion. First of all - why would I want to watch other people be mean and miserable? Yuck. Also - It's taking away TV time from scripted shows. I wish there were more good dramas, If only we could have another West Wing or Season One of Alias...

2. What's your "can't miss" reality TV show (or shows)?
I did watch Beauty and the Geek this summer. It was great. The contestants seemed to want to truly help each other.

3. What reality TV show do you suppose the devil plays on the TV in Hell as punishment?
Any of the dating shows. Fifth Wheel, etc. Yuck.

~Bonus~ If you were given a free ticket to be on any reality show, which one would you choose?
Okay - I confess. It would be fun to be the Bachelorette. Does that make me a bad person?? It seems kinda like being a Princess to have men trying to win your hand... :-) :-)

2 Comments:

At July 28, 2005 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to hate reality shows because it seemed to always be about people fighting. But there are some I'm drawn to. I love American Idol. I love routing for someone and watching their careers after the show's done. Is Clean Sweep a reality show? I love that one and I have to admit I like the Nanny. I haven't watched Brat Camp but I think I might like that too. I like seeing people making changes for the good.

Your comment about taking away from scripted shows reminded me of the actors that were enraged with reality shows taking their jobs. My thoughts were how dare they think they are exempt from losing their jobs when the rest of us are always subject to layoffs and the rise and fall of the economy. PLEASE!

 
At August 02, 2005 10:47 PM, Blogger Chris said...

V looks good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home