Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Friday, June 24, 2005

Some trailers that look interesting...and other random thoughts

In Her Shoes - This looks like it might be a good film about sisters. Toni Collette is in it, which makes me think I'll like it -- she often picks good roles. But, then again, so is Cameron Diaz. She does not impress me.
The Bridge of San Luis Rey -- Peruvian historical movie. Great cast.
Mysterious Skin -- I've been reading about this one. It's about damaged, damaged people and probably a story that is far too common today. I'm interested to see how the story resolves.
MirrorMask -- It's from Neil Gaiman's quite twisted and brilliant mind. Intriguing. I'm not sure what I think about the visuals, however. It almost looks illustrated instead of filmed. (You'll have to click on "MirrorMask" under the "Latest Previews" section to view the trailer.)
Pride and Prejudice -- Honestly, I'm not sure that any adaptation can top the A&E/BCC of 1996 that made Colin Firth a star. However, this version, with Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennett seems to be making a valiant effort. I'll definitely check it out. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite novel of all time. I'll watch anyone's take on the story, if only to see their perspective. (I would suggest watching this in Quicktime.)
Broken Flowers -- Bill Murray in what looks to be a good character film about a man encountering his past.

That's it for trailers at this time. The pickin's were a tad sparse. I looked at quite a few that I wasn't interested in or just looked really dumb. It was a little depressing.

On another note - I saw The Perfect Man this afternoon with my mom. It was okay. A typical chick flick -- it was more about a mother/daughter relationship than a true romantic/comedy. It did have a line that stuck with me. At one point Chris Noth said, "Love is friendship on fire." I think I like the idea of that.

For some reason it brings to mind another favorite movie quote of mine, from Fools Rush In. At one point the male lead says to the female lead, "You're everything I never knew I always wanted." I guess I like the idea that a woman doesn't have to match the perfect image that a guy has in his head for him to be interested in her. I certainly won't match anyone's perfect image of anything, but isn't that a good thing? Wouldn't it be too predictable if we were exactly what someone else was looking for? I hope someday to be with someone who surprises me. Delights me with parts of his personality I never knew existed. I see that in my parents. One of my absolute favorite things about my dad is that he is really funny. People often have no idea that my dad has this crazy sense of humor that makes me laugh all the time. My mom insists that she had no idea about this side of his personality until after they were married. Isn't that a delightful surprise? Talk about being something that someone didn't know they wanted. :-)

Anyway - here's to cheesy lines that stick with you. The American Film Institute just released their list of the Top 100 Movie Lines of all time. It's an interesting list. I wonder how many of us have movie lines that define certain moments of our lives? Is that strange? I have lines that I quote with certain friends that immediately remind us of specific times and places. ("Look at yur little hands." - Sabrina "You're a virgin who can't drive." - Clueless "But the women--" "They're nice after the torture." - The Man Who Knew Too Little "We got snacks now!" - Good Will Hunting "You don't want to be in love. You want to be in love in a movie!" - Sleepless in Seattle "Doctor Banister, you're upside down." - What's Up, Doc?, just to name a few...)

So - what are the quotes on your list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home