Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Monday, May 30, 2005

Does love make you act like a nutcase?

It's been almost a week since I wrote an entry and most of that is because I can't figure out what to say about Serenity without spoiling the movie for those who haven't seen it. More about that later.

I just finished watching Tom Cruise's appearance on Oprah from last week. (Of course, I was interested in it. I was a teenage girl in the 80's. It almost goes without saying.) Anyway - I'm not sure if I have ever seen someone that hyper in an interview before. He was jumping on the couch and making very dramatic gestures. Apparently, he has just gone completely nuts over Katie Holmes. I mean, love is looking a little bit like he's on a major hysterical caffeine high. :-) But my question is - does love really do that to people? Do most people feel that way and are just too self conscious to make such a public display? Or is Tom going above and beyond with the excitement? I confess that I kind of hope it's not a publicity stunt and that he has actually fallen head over heels for Katie. Maybe I just want to believe that things like do happen to people outside of fairy tales. It certainly was an interesting interview.

About Serenity -- I loved it. There were some very sad moments that I knew were coming. I'm actually very glad they were not a surprise. I think it would have been a little hard. Is it crazy to get attached to made-up people and storylines?

There were many questions answered from the series and many left open. I hope this movie does well at the box office, but it is going to depend on Universal's marketing campaign. If they do a good job of selling the movie - it'll be a hit. But it's a fairly hard sell. There are no big name stars, no easily explained plot, and it's a western in space. (Although the western part is toned down somewhat.) The story is very gripping. I took a friend with me who didn't know very much about Firefly and she loved it also. It speaks well for the general public, but I'm not sure that they are going to actually buy the ticket and sit in the theater.

The dialogue was, as always, excellent. In fact, there were a few good lines that I missed because I was laughing at the line before. The movie hadn't been colortimed yet, so the picture was very grainy. I'm assuming this will be fixed. Also - it didn't have the soundtrack completed yet and there were several places that had filler music. The special effects appeared to be finished for the most part, but there were a few spots that could be tweaked. Even with all of that, it was still a wonderful experience and I'm so glad I got to go.

Serenity
- September 30 - mark it in pen! (If anyone wants to go - I'll be at the theater opening night. Come with me...)

1 Comments:

At May 30, 2005 4:13 PM, Blogger alethea said...

I made the posting...again! My 2 cents about the Tom Cruise interview...I haven't seen the interview, but I have a gut feeling (cynical through and through) that Hollywood does something to one's soul. I think it has to do with putting all of your most human vices in a pressure cooker. I just don't trust that Tom is really experiencing anything more pure than he has experienced in other relationships (but who am I to know anything about his relationships). On the other hand, I DO believe we walk through most of our emotional life with our hands firmly on the reigns. I too hope there is something about love that is ridiculous and giddy!

PS: Serenity really was amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home