Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Doctor Who

Please don't make me turn in my sci-fi geek membership card, but until yesterday I had never seen an episode of Doctor Who. Of course, I've heard of it (who hasn't?) and I knew the basics of the story -- but I had never actually seen it. A friend recommended the new series and so I downloaded the first episode. I really liked it! It's got a sense of humor that appeals to me and boy! -- the mannequins were CREEPY! Mannequins have always creeped me out and I yelped a few times during the episode. (My roommate asked me, "What *are* you watching?" from the other room after the second short squeal.)

I like the actor who is playing the Doctor. He's very expressive and grounded with a very mischievous sense of humor. So far - big thumbs up.

BTW - I'm still excited about Serenity, although I'm kicking myself for not buying more tickets when I had the chance. There are two friends of mine that I thought might want to go, but I didn't hear from them before the tickets sold out. In retrospect, I should have just bought the tickets. I could have sold them if I didn't need them. 20/20 hindsight and all that...

2 Comments:

At May 10, 2005 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the first 7 Doctor Whos on CD if you want to borrow them. :)

 
At May 11, 2005 1:36 PM, Blogger alethea said...

My brother introduced me to DR. WHO when he was in high school and I was in late elementary school. I still remember being freaked out just by the opening "ooooo--weeee---oooooo" spirally image! I need to watch an episode with my more mature eyes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home