Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Settlers of Catan

I got together with a group of my friends last night to play "Settlers of Catan." It's the most addictive board game I have played in years. I was one turn away from winning and the person who went right before me did exactly what I was going to do - and won! Agghhhh! :-) :-) Actually - it was a great time. I met a few new people and we had some good conversation (and a bit of smack talkin'...)

Catan is great for several reasons, but one of them is that you can converse about a different topic while you play the game. It is also highly interactive and the board changes every time you play. Things can happen for or against you on anyone else's turn and that helps to keep everyone engaged in the game.

If you haven't heard of it or played it recently...check it out! :-)

The Unversity of Catan

If you are browsing on Amazon, check out Joshua Koppel's "So you want to settle Catan..." guide. Joshua Koppel's Guide

3 Comments:

At May 07, 2005 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would you cast as Grendel in a film of beowulf?

 
At May 07, 2005 7:19 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Well, assuming you are asking a serious question -- it would completely depend on the style choices of the writer, director, producers, etc. and the demands of the script. Are we talking "man in suit," a CGI character, a human? My favorite actor who does wonderful prosthetic work is Ron Perlman (Beauty and the Beast, Hellboy, Quest for Fire, etc) If it's going to be a CGI character, I would want someone who could do as well as Andy Serkis (although I don't think he would be right for it.) If we are talking a human (which would be an *interesting* style choice...) I'm not sure. It would depend on how the part was written.

BTW - did you mean Grendel's mother??

 
At July 12, 2005 12:40 PM, Blogger Aloysius Munn said...

Yes it was a serious question. Why wouldn't it be? I think Grendel wouldn't be done justice by a load of pixels however.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home