Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

American Poetry

I have been teaching the imagists in my American Literature class recently. To be completely honest, it's not my favorite style of poetry. There is something about the Romantics that touches my soul. Keats, Shelley, Byron, wow.

However, today we looked at e.e. cummings. There is something about cummings that leaves me in awe. He can get to the heart of an issue and sometimes I am not quite aware of what the issue is! There is a poem he wrote about his dad that I think is amazing. He says in the next to the last line -- "my father lived his soul." What would it look like if I lived my soul? To live out in front of the world the true nature of who God created me to be. Hmmmm, thoughts to mull over.

"somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near"

There is just something about e.e. cummings.

1 Comments:

At May 04, 2005 3:57 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Thanks! You are so sweet. It's nice to get the encouragement... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home