Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Sunday, August 29, 2004

British mysteries

I've been watching British murder mysteries recently. It started when I discovered Prime Suspect at the local rental store this summer. Starring Helen Mirren, Prime Suspect is a terrific police procedural drama with well developed characters. One of the best things about British mysteries is that they seem to develop characters much more deeply. American dramas often fall into the trap of having beautiful people solving crimes quickly and moving on to the next. The format of British TV lends itself to a longer, much more developed story. The shows seem more like mini-series than seasons of episodes. I recommend Prime Suspect, especially if you like to watch a strong female character who looks like a real woman instead of a Barbie doll. Why do American TV producers seem to think that we won't watch shows unless the people are unnaturally beautiful? One exception to this I enjoy is Gil Grissom on CSI. William Patterson plays a quirky, middle-aged curmudgeon (surrounded by beautiful people....)

Anyway - the reason I brought all this up is that I have been renting the Wire in the Blood series with Robson Green. I am impressed. Green plays a wonderfully twisted psychologist named Tony Hill who helps out the police with particularly gruesome and deviant murders. He profiles the murderer and is invaluable. Of course, there is the required UST (unsatisfied sexual tension) between his character and the police detective he is helping. She is played by Hermione...something. I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyway - good story, but characters are what make the show. Dr. Hill is so caught up in his work that his personal life seems to be abandoned. It is interesting to watch him try to deal with normal people. He seems to be much more comfortable with the clinically insane. I am moving on to another mystery series starring Green. It's called Touching Evil. I'll rent Series 1 after I finish with Sports Night. (I just can't get enough of Aaron Sorkin.) We'll see how it goes...

1 Comments:

At December 08, 2004 5:07 PM, Blogger HardWearJunkie said...

Are watching British police procedurals and reading police procedurals different tastes for you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home