Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Loving The West Wing!

I cannot get over how much I am enjoying The West Wing! Aaron Sorkin is an amazing writer and has the ability to infuse high drama with humor in a way I haven't seen before. I have finished watching the first two seasons and I must say that the second season's first two episodes have got to be some of the best scripted TV I have ever seen. Wow. (Of course, the fact that my favorite character was near death had nothing to do with it...yeah, right.)

Can I just say that Bradley Whitford is my new hero? The man can deliver a line. (Not to mention that he has a very cute "good lookin' nerdy guy" thing going for him that really works. Wow.) Yep - choosing between Rob Lowe and Whitford, I'm gonna have to go with Brad. Not that Rob isn't doing a great job also. He's got a self-deprecating sense of humor that is a joy to watch.

I am looking forward to the 3rd season coming out in DVD in November and am not looking forward to the end of the 4th when Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme (the primary director) decide to leave the show. What in the world was NBC thinking? Were the top executives all on some bad crack?? I can't imagine anyone else writing this show and it being any good. Sorkin's voice is so distinctive. We'll see, but I'm not expecting great things in terms of the scripts without him.

BTW - I have to mention the chemistry between Whitford's character, Josh Lyman, and his assistant, Donna Moss, played by Janel Moloney. You can almost see the sparks. I hope that something happens between them, although that would spell doom for the show. (Always does, you know.) Of course, not doing anything in the official canon of the show always makes for good fanfic ideas...

I've got to get back to painting my air intake grates and grading my student's work. Ugghhh. Real work. Why can't the summer last forever? It's not a completely impossible request, you know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home