Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

quotes that connect

I just watched the trailer for Garden State, the new indie film by Zach Braff. There was a quote that touched something in me. The character is talking about his sense of home and how the house that he grew up in is not the same place anymore. That house doesn't exist because of the changes that time forces on us. He said, "Maybe that's all family is - a group of people who miss the same imaginary place."

I just went on a wonderful vacation with my family. It was relaxing and a time to connect. I'm so grateful for the fam...but at the same time, being around them is such a stark reminder of the way life changes and never goes back. The times and places in my memory have vanished (and I'm not even sure that they ever existed.) Perhaps I create the memory as years go by. How much does our act of remembering alter the event?

'kay - that's getting a bit too deep for sitting alone on a Tuesday night.

So - update on the painting. A few kitchen cabinet doors are up and I've begun painting the doors to the bedrooms. My garage has turned into the haven for lost white furniture.

It's times like this when being single really sucks mud. I want to get ridiculously philosophical and then laugh at the pretentiousness of me. It's hard to build laughter alone. And by the time I call a friend - the moment has passed. It's passed anyway. Moving on...

I'm headed to a reunion of college friends tomorrow. My ex-boyfriend will be there. I think we might get coffee. (It's the non-relationship drink of choice, according to Willow Rosenburg.) I was in love with him for 4 years of college. (I'm nothing if not a tad obsessive.) It's not that I'm still in love - but the memory is still there and kind of iches like a wound that has almost healed. Back to memory...maybe I'm just maudlin tonight. I'll get over it. I'm off to read Tad Williams' Otherworld. I haven't decided if I like it yet. Another 300 pages or so and I'll let you know.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home