Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Friday, June 11, 2004

Well - not what I was expecting...

I had a completely different film in mind.

Somewhere out there is an ensemble cast film with Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson where friends sit around in a house and talk. This film was another "friends sit around in a house and talk" movie, but certainly didn't star Alan. Hmmm....which movie am I thinking of??? (It's going to bug me until I remember.) Of course, I could always cheat and look it up - but where is the fun in that? I know it's not "Playing by Heart"...

"Love! Valor! Compassion!" was an interesting film. I enjoyed the characters and the story. It made me both laugh out loud (Jason Alexander in a tutu performing Swan Lake) and cry (several characters dealing with the reality of death, AIDS, and cheating partners.) It had some flaws and I'm not sure what I think about the end and the voice overs, but on the whole - a good story with believable interaction for the most part. (Of course, I would prefer a happy ending, but that is the utter sappiness of me.)

Well, I'm off to paint my kitchen cabinets (and rack my brain about that other film.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home