Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Ackkk - Real life is taking over...

I don't want to give up on this chronicle of the media I am watching, so here's another stab at it. I have watched the first half of the first season of Nip/Tuck in the past few days. Interesting show. One of the reasons I wanted to watch it is that it is one of the shows that is most objectionable to the ultra conservative community here in the US. (The Shield is the other show that gets a lot of attention.) I can definitely see why the PTC (Parent's Television Council) has spent so much time and energy fighting this show. It is definitely not appropriate for children. However, I see some interesting issues. There is a character on the show (ironically, his name is Christian) who lives an incredibly hedonistic lifestyle. His life is a constant search for the perfect woman and the perfect car. Of course, the woman of the moment will never live up to his vision of perfection. It leads to him leading a very empty life of money and sex. Although the sex is pretty graphic for network TV, it is very clear that his life is not supposed to be enviable. As the season progresses, we begin to see some motivation for his behavior which includes childhood sexual abuse. I am interested to see how the story progresses.

I think I'm gonna start watching The West Wing tonight... Never seen it before. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home