Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Free Money!

It's Saturday afternoon and my roommate and I just finished our garage sale. I ended up with over $100!! It's sorta like getting free money, since that stuff was just taking up space and collecting dust. I decided to get rid of almost all of my VHS tapes. I had quite an extensive VHS movie collection, but I've been buying DVDs for several years and haven't watched my VHS tapes in quite awhile. They were just sitting there. I also got rid of about half my CD collection. There were quite a few CDs from the mid 90's that I haven't listened to in years. Might as well let someone else enjoy them!

With my new found wealth, I've decided to break down and join the TiVo generation. (I actually decided on a ReplayTV unit, since I don't have a land-line phone.) I ordered my unit and with the rebate and an on-line coupon I found, the $150 machine is going to cost me $40. I love Google...

I'm excited about having Replay, primarily because I have almost stopped using my VCR. I've been downloading a lot of my television and I love the convenience of that - but it looks like most of the good Bittorrent websites are getting shut down. That's the way the wind blows, I guess. (BTW - just so you know, I never download movies or music. Only TV that I could record with my VCR.) I think Replay is going to be just as convenient as BitTorrent, if not more so... Now my big question is - do I pay the $12.95 per month or the $300 lifetime fee for the Replay service? If I use it for more than 2 years, the $300 is cheaper. But - it's $300.... Ah -- decisions....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home