Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Narnia film

Check out the web site for the new film version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
The Chronicles of Narnia
I am looking forward to this one also. I'm not sure if there has been another movie that I am as concerned about how it turns out as this one. Although I desperately wanted The Lord of the Rings films to be good, I wasn't as invested in them as I am in the Chronicles. I have vivid memories of sitting at my mom's feet while she read me the entire series in the living of our old house on Ella Lane. The carpet was green shag. The couch I leaned against was gold velour. (Quit laughing! I loved that living room! :-) BTW - mom did not pick out the carpet or the couch. She has better taste.) Those are some awesome memories.

I was Lucy, going out into the dark forest on my own. I was Shasta, running away from a cruel "father." I was Jill Pole, putting up with Eustace and rescuing an enchanted prince. (How's that for a flip on the fairy tale?) I guess I still am Jill Pole, although I like her much better in The Last Battle! :-)

The point of all this is that I hope this movie meets my expectations. Please be the story I remember! The photos and pre-production pieces I have seen look promising, but we just don't know...

3 Comments:

At May 11, 2005 3:57 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Jill,

Thanks for the Narnia link. I spent too much time there this afternoon. Can't wait! Do you know of a group going to see Star Wars next week? Brent will be out of town.

 
At May 12, 2005 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, thanks for the disclaimer on the couch and carpet! Love you, Mom

 
At May 16, 2005 12:49 PM, Blogger alethea said...

I want to see this movie NOW!!! I have enduring memories of reading this series as a child also. My memory is of the screened-in porch at my parents' home. I stretched out on the glider and read for hours, book after book. I'm not an amazingly fast reader, but I remember being shocked at how fast I comsumed these books. They awakened my desire for stories that have deep meaning. Perhaps this was my first experience with the notion of paradox too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home