Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Friday, June 03, 2005

just because

John Donne
Holy Sonnet 14

Batter my heart, three-personed God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurped town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but Oh, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto your enemy:
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

4 Comments:

At June 03, 2005 10:57 PM, Blogger alethea said...

simply beautiful.

 
At June 05, 2005 10:05 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love Donne's poetry.

 
At June 06, 2005 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just letting you know I was here.

Suz

 
At June 07, 2005 8:27 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Here's one of my favorite lines from Sonnet #IV:

Oh make thy self with holy mourning black,
And red with blushing, as thou art with sin;
Or wash thee in Christ's blood, which hath this might
That being red, it dyes red souls to white.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home