Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005


The Reformation: A History by Diarmaid MacCulloch

I started reading this yesterday. I try to read at least one secular non-fiction book per month. They usually end up to be history or social commentary of some sort. I've been intrigued with the Reformation for awhile and have been wanting to read another good history book, so this is where I landed. I was browsing at work a few days ago (I work at a bookstore) and came across this. It won the Wolfson Prize for History and the British Academy Prize in 2004. Now, do I know what those prizes mean? Nope - but they sound pretty good! :-) Also, it had some favorable reviews from several sources I respect.

Reading history is always interesting. It seems to be quite driven by perspective. I have a hard time buying any historian who says they have the definitive take on anything. As a result, I tend to read histories with a large grain of salt. That said, I think I'm going to enjoy this one. It is certainly written from a non-Christian perspective. MacCulloch says in the introduction, "I do not now personally subscribe to any form of religious dogma (although I do remember with some affection what it was like to do so)." (xxv) While this statement seems a little condescending to those who still hold to "religious dogma," I'm intrigued about his take on the Reformation (and I'm wondering about his definition of "dogma"). I'll let you know what I think as I get further into the book.

1 Comments:

At June 17, 2005 2:15 PM, Blogger alethea said...

I would love to hear about this book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home