Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Have we lost something?

Peter Jackson has been doing something interesting with his production of King Kong. During the filming and now into post-production, the staff at the Kong is King website having been putting together a series of "production diaries." These are short clips of different people explaining the movie making process as the film is created. It's sort of a "making of..." that is published during the making of the movie.

This almost begs the question -- do we really want to know? Although I love learning about the process of filmmaking and gaining insight into how filmmakers think, what happens to the story? I wonder what my initial response to the movie will be when I see the sets that I have witnessed being built or see the final versions of special effects shots. I think it's all going to pull me out of the reality of the story. It's going to be much harder to suspend my disbelief when I am constantly thinking about the process. As a consumer of the story, do I really want to know about the details of creation?

We used to talk about "movie magic," but it doesn't seem that magical anymore. It's much more technical. I wonder if this is the down side of the special features on DVDs. Don't get me wrong, I love special features -- but I think I've lost something along the way.

3 Comments:

At June 25, 2005 7:12 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hey Jill, just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying your blog. I agree -- I don't want to know everything behind the magic. But, it's just another way for them to hype the movie.

I'm looking forward to Batman. I still say that the original Batman should have been Alec Baldwin.

 
At July 03, 2005 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!
I think you're right -- I very much love the film process and the technical elements that go into making it all possible. And yet it's important to me to be able to enter the world of that which I'm being asked to believe in and sometimes having the technical knowledge at my disposal can affect my belief system!

Good blog, my friend!

Also, here's an assignment for your viewing pleasure -- watch Tru Calling while I'm gone! You will be mesmerized!!!

 
At July 03, 2005 8:42 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Diana -

Does this mean I get to be Anne in our 30's?? :-) :-) I will watch Tru Calling ASAP. You wish -- and it will be done. :-) Take care on the other side of the pond.

Your bosom friend,
Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home